• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New proc ... need help with BIOS settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tschroeder250

Registered
I got a new proc and I am trying to tweak the BIOS settings to maximize its speed. I have been pretty successful, but I have a question that might seem pretty basic.

Often when I bump up the multiplier or increment the CPU speed, upon reboot I get no video. It seems like the computer is still running behind the scenes, but I am not 100% sure.

My question is this ... if it is true that the modified settings have made the video go haywire, what settings are the likely culprits? Perhaps I can turn down another setting to allow the proc to freely roam at higher levels.

I will followup with specific system details if needed (the specs listed in my signature are close, but slightly out of date).

Thanks in advance!

-Todd

If you bump just the multi, it shouldn't just kill the video. What you are probably seeing is a computer that will power on, but not finish posting. A definate sign that your are pushing tha hardware a little too far. Try a little less speed or a little more voltage.

It can also be an indication that you are running your agp/pci out of spec. When you oc the system certain parts will run out of spec if it isnt locked. The video is one of them. Make sure the agp / pci is locked or at a fixed setting of 66.6/33.3.

Best regards-

Thanks for your collective help so far!

The specs in my sig are correct, except for the proc. The new proc is an XP 2600+, but it is the 333 MHz FSB version, and not the 266 that I wanted (and that is supported officially by my MB). The proc is not unlocked as this point. My multiplier is set at default currently, but I believe it is at the highest allowed anyway (allowed values are 6.5x - 12.5x).

I don't think my MB supports locking the PCI and AGP bus speeds, but I will look closer. I have the Phoenix - AwardBIOS. I have always assumed that the CPU frequency alters the PCI bus, is that correct? I have included the settings that I have below if you have suggestions, they are all currently set to default values.

Thanks again!

AGP & P2P Bridge Control
- AGP Aperature Size = 64M
- AGP Mode = 4X
- AGP Driving Control = Auto
- AGP Driving Value = DA (default due to Auto setting above)
- AGP Master 1 WS Write = Disabled
- AGP Master 1 WS Read = Disabled

CPU & PCI Bus Control
- PCI1 Master 0 WS Write = Enabled
- PCI2 Master 0 WS Write = Enabled
- PCI1 Post Write = Enabled
- PCI2 Post Write = Enabled
- PCI Delay Transaction = Disabled

System BIOS Cacheable = Disabled
Video RAM Cacheable = Disabled
Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk = Disabled
Spread Spectrum = Disabled