• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i know if I am secure from intruders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookuwn

Hi,

How do i know if I am secure from hackers?

I have a modem/router from this link
http://www.ovislink.ca/ADSL/OV711C.htm
can't seem to find if there's a firewall built in.

Suppose if there is a firewall built in, then will that be good enough?

though i can also install firewall on my computer, but i just don't like the idea of programs running in the background.

Thx

If you can see this picture you are being hacked:

_-Abrid-_.jpg

J / K :D

edit.

BTW. I have a similar get up at home, I'm not sure which model my adsl / router or hub is, but I do know that the thing has been used as a hub for a small home network by some of my friends. I haven't yet set up a network home, but I'm planning on doing it once I have time and I'm not dead tired after school.
I don't think I need to do anything more except configure our computers to the same workgroup or something like that.

Last edited:
norton firewall is quite effective, here's the result I got from on of the http://scan.sygate.com/ scan:

Trying to gather information from your web browser...

Operating System = Windows XP
Browser = Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

Trying to find out your computer name...

Unable to determine your computer name!

Trying to find out what services you are running...

Unable to detect any running services!

Interesting...I got the following from the Shields Up file sharing scanner...

Attempting connection to your computer. . .

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

I'm not running any kind of firewall...although my file/print sharing is on IPX instead of TCP/IP.

My ip is 3ffe:2900:110f:7::1. Also 24.127.169.90.

Got another box @ 63.172.195.6

Anyone is welcome to try and do any leet hax0r stunts.

People act like IP address's are sacred. There not supposed to be. All they are is an address for your PC. Not to hard to get. I mean just look at any email in your inbox and you can get the IP address's of all of anyone who's sent you email. Keeping what's behind it secure is what's important right?

Back