• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is two better than one ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlypSyde

I do web application development at work and use a single Dell 2000FP LCD monitor. I've been asked to work a side project for the company but it can't interfere with my existing project at the office. So I've been authorized to work on it from home if I want to and charge it as overtime. I also got a nice bonus this year for all the work on the side that I've been doing for the company and so I was thinking of upgrading my monitor at home to an LCD. My one 20" LCD monitor at work seems fine to me but I'm wondering if two 17" LCD monitors might be better. I'd go with two 20" LCD's but that's more than I want to spend and CRT's are out of the question as I don't have the desk space for two of them.

Any developers out there with some advice or an opinion? All productive input is welcome! Thanks! :D

although im not a developer or anything i would much rather have two monitors... even as a student i sometimes want that.

I'fe you will be doing work at home I would go with the two screens. I had them for a while but space restrictions made me give one up. But, if you're playing a lot of games, I'd just go with one larger one.

I really like the 20" LCD I have at work, especially when I have my editor maximized, but it's still a little bit of a pain to have to switch windows when I have several open. I'm afraid that if I go with two 17" LCD's that I won't have enough real estate on one screen to view my code with the editor maximized.

I really prefer dual monitors. Especially if you multitask a lot and you sound like you do.

I'm not a developer, just a student, to let you know.

Perhaps you could get 19" LCD and one CRT? (if you have enough space)
that way you don't have the cost of two LCD's, and the 19 is pretty big.

I already have a 19" CRT that I use now. If I go the 2 monitor route I'd rather get 2 LCD's. I know it would just bug the hell out of me looking from one type of display to the other. I'm just picky like that. :D

FlypSyde said:
I already have a 19" CRT that I use now. If I go the 2 monitor route I'd rather get 2 LCD's. I know it would just bug the hell out of me looking from one type of display to the other. I'm just picky like that. :D

Yeah, that is true.

I've used dual monitor setup before, just to say I could and didnt like it to be honest with ya! Maybe Im old fashoined but the old alt-tab works for me

I have a 19" CRT and a 14" LCD dual setup at home. Let me tell you, it's sweet (I use my CRT for gaming and the LCD to do my work). It has increased my productivity and now I find myself bored cause I do things so quickly and easily.

Go for 2 LCDs if you don't care too much about gaming.

I've used dual monitors at work for CAD software. Had a 21" crt for the main screen and a 14" lcd for all the tool bars and such. Ran them at different resolutions. It was pretty nice. Don't limit yourself to the same sized monitors.

I run dual monitors and it's a must, i'll never go back. It's awesome when you can compare things side by side, open up two IE windows and multitask like a motha! also when I write papers i can have IE open in one window and word in the other....I could go on and on. It's a must if you wish to increase productivity.

I do web design, development, hosting, etc. at my office where we have two separate systems running three monitors each. On one side is my system with three 17" CRTs and on the other is my brother's using three 19 inchers... I'd love to have all LCDs, but we have more desk space than $$$ so it's not gonna happen. My home system uses a 19" CRT and a 17.4" LCD that actually match up perfectly. Moving from one type of display to the other is no problem, btw, but having a flat CRT with an LCD makes it a lot easier...

Dang! Three monitors is probabaly overkill for me. I'd just be doing web development (the work I'd be taking home) as an additional thing. I'm probably going with two 19" LCD's but the plan is on hold as my wife had our baby girl a month earlier than expected! :D

Thanks for all your input!

Back