• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipsets north bridges, i am in a muddle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

Could somneone please tell me what a chipset is and what it does and what a north bridge is and what it does. Please reply in as much detail as you can. Thanks for all of your help.

Chipset is what controls how different parts of your computer communicate. It basically act as a bridge connecting everything together so information can travel through different parts of the computer.

Northbridge usually controls how fast CPU and RAM communicate. It might have something to do with IDE as well (I'm not too certain). Southbridge is usually for pci, lan and other features. I might have these mixed up but hopefully you get the idea. :)

i belive the northbridge is the RAm to cpu, AGP, and mayby integrated video, while the southbridge is the pci, ide, and other integrated things. i believe integrated audio is southbridge, but i dont know

Back