• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stabilizing my 3.0c/Kingston HyperX system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koolaid

I am not Prime 95 stable for even one round of torture testing. My PC does not crash, but sometimes it will boot me out of 3d games to the desktop. I have a SP-94 HS and 92mm Tornado on the way :cool:

Here is the hardware in my box:

IC7-Max3 BIOS 10/30/2003
P4 3.0c @ 3.23ghz
Kingston HyperX KHX3200A 512x2
Antec True 480w

Positive airflow - 2 intake/2 exhaust fans with a side fan blowing into the case in the acrylic window.

Ambient 28c
Idle 46c
Heavy Load (prime 95 torture) 62

Here are my BIOS settings as of 12/11/2003

External clock 215/66/33
N/B Strap CPU as PSB800
DRAM Ratio 1:1
AGP Ratio FIXED
CPU Core V 1.5500v
DDR SDRAM Voltage 2.6
AGP 1.55v

RAM TIMINGS for Kingston Hyperx KHX3200A

CHS Latency 2
ACT to Precharge Delay 6
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay 3
DRAM RAS# precharge 2

GAT settings: auto-enhanced-auto-disabled-disabled

As I stated, I'd like some ideas on how to make my system more stable. I'd also like some opinions on my ram timings, as well as voltage settings.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:
I would probably think about getting some different ram. If I remember correctly the pc3200A has Bh-6 chips and probably not overclock that well. better to get some non-A or go will some black label II or any that uses bh-5

The ram I have is running at DDR440 with 1:1 ratio.

I just ran Prime95, and it went all the way through 3 tests before I shut it down. I had my temp, sensor for the CPU set low, so it started beeping like crazy at 60 degrees C.

I'm confused. Oh well, atleast it works.

Might be running into something to do with the "throtteling" feature of the chip. Where it cuts back speed when the temp gets high. Can't find the spec now but Intel site says case ambient temp for 800mhz fsb chips should be 32C with proccesor at mid 40's? My 2.8 started throtteling down at about 60C at default settings, you might be able to change that in your bios.

Well, I would also use 2.8v for your memory setting. That might help some, but to be honest your biggest problem right now is your memory try using 5/4 and see if you can get more out of your cpu. Also you might try setting the enhanced to auto and disabling the bios shadowing.

skab said:
Might be running into something to do with the "throtteling" feature of the chip. Where it cuts back speed when the temp gets high. Can't find the spec now but Intel site says case ambient temp for 800mhz fsb chips should be 32C with proccesor at mid 40's? My 2.8 started throtteling down at about 60C at default settings, you might be able to change that in your bios.

How do you know it's started throtteling? I've run a P4 up to over 70C, and it didn't throttle...

koolaid:
Try lowering the memory down to at least 2-6-3-3, and set the GAT to auto-auto-auto-dis-dis.
Also, as already mentioned, bump vdimm to 2.8v...

Remember, PC3200 memory aren't supposed to handle more than 200MHz... You might wanna try the 5:4 ratio to rule out a bad CPU.

PC3200 isn't the best combo for a 3.0C, if you wanna run 1:1, low timings, try to get hold of a pair of BH5.
PC3700/good PC3500 and a FSB of 230 could be something...

pkrew said:
Well, I would also use 2.8v for your memory setting. That might help some, but to be honest your biggest problem right now is your memory try using 5/4 and see if you can get more out of your cpu. Also you might try setting the enhanced to auto and disabling the bios shadowing.

Will adding more voltage to my memory add stability?

I tried using 5/4 on the memory, but didn't do much testing.

On CPU Mark 2002, my memory score with 5:4 was 9283, and 10099 with 1:1 respectively.

I don't know how I would go about getting different ram since I can't sell this ram in my PC until I have new ram. I can't sell it outright because I need a PC in the meantime. I got the extended warranty through New Egg - could I RMA it after Christmas when I get some money?

When I run Prime95 on a heavy memory test, it doesn't even run for 30 seconds. When I run the first torture test with Prime, it runs on for 3-4 tests. THis would lead me to believe my RAM is at fault like you said.

What ram works well with this board other than Kingston?

crotale said:

How do you know it's started throtteling? I've run a P4 up to over 70C, and it didn't throttle...

koolaid:
Try lowering the memory down to at least 2-6-3-3, and set the GAT to auto-auto-auto-dis-dis.
Also, as already mentioned, bump vdimm to 2.8v...

Remember, PC3200 memory aren't supposed to handle more than 200MHz... You might wanna try the 5:4 ratio to rule out a bad CPU.

PC3200 isn't the best combo for a 3.0C, if you wanna run 1:1, low timings, try to get hold of a pair of BH5.
PC3700/good PC3500 and a FSB of 230 could be something...

I don't think the CPU is throttling. My CPU temp has not gotten up to 70C according to MBM.

I also set the GAT to Auto Auto Auto Dis Dis.

What ram do you recommend for this board, other than the BH-5 chips from Kingston?

<mumble> damnit I wish I would have found this site before I bought everything </mumble>

There ain't much BH-5 memories out there... Kingston HX3000 and Mushkin Level2 are supposed to be BH-5.
But if your not a hardcore bencher, I think you could try some HX3500 (got a pair of them up to 230 with 2-6-3-3 timings) or
OCZ PC3700. Search the memory section for more tips about memory.

I got some HyperX 3200A from newegg a few week back and had to RMA it as my sytstem stability was crap, even at stock speeds on a IC7-Max3.

-Tony

Another vote to increase the ram voltage to 2.8v. The immediate drops you are seeing in prime95 are most likely caused by unstable ram. Give 2.8 a shot, if that doesn't work try changing the GAT settings to the ones mentioned above. If that doesn't work try lowering your timings to 2-3-3-7.

While I'm at it, can I go any faster than the pc3200 ram I am running?

What do you guys recommend for this board? I can't exchange my ram from Newegg, so I might sell it on e-bay.

Like was said, try using the 5:4 ratio just to test to see if that will improve stability. If so, then you know it's the RAM. Raising the vdimm will probably help a little. Set the timing at SPD for this round of testing. Let us know how it goes.

Back