• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v vs 13.5v PSU for TEC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathmasher

Ok I was looking at the meanwell site and they make a 298watt 13.5volt PSU. I was thinking that this would be perfect for running a TEC because from what I understand they are rated for 14v correct? The next closest one that they have is a 15v so I figure a little under is better then over?

You should buy a TEC before you buy/build a PSU, as TEC's come in many different flavors.

Most TEC's that are commonly used for CPU cooling are rated for 15-17V or 24-25V.

There are also TEC's that are rated for as little as 0.85V or as much as 30.8V, I'm pretty sure some others 'need' (can handle) even more voltage.

I think most meanwell PSU's can be adjusted by ~10%+/-, so a 15V PSU may not be such a bad idea.

AFAIK overvolting a TEC is usually not a good idea, while they may perform better, their efficiency drops significantly, not to mention their life span.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Back