• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning used heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wassup Doc

Registered
I purchased an used wc kit and found that the heatercore is corroded with a white powdery substance. What should i use to get rid of this stuff?

I'm curious, what components make up this kit? And what liquid mix was ran through it previously?

If you know of any clock shops in your area, take the core to them and see if they will run it through their ultrasonic cleaner ( give it a general cleanup first- they don't want to put a filthy part in their tanks...).
Make sure you flush it out well afterwords.

Ultrasound will dislodge even the most tenacious crud and the solutions they use are designed for use on brass so you don't have to worry about acid eating away at the base metal...

Depending on the makeup of the unit discoloration may occur, but some Scotchbrite pads and elbow grease will take care of that.

Back