• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7D how far is too far "FSB", before the AGP starts to go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2los

How far have you been able to OC the FSB on a MSI K7d, before the AGP started giving out? On either Nvidia or Ati?

thanks in advance..

Just to add.... this is truly a milestone for me today... Exactly 1 year and 5 days after registering back in 12-8-02 , I received my second star. :D :clap: :attn:

Last edited:
I have been running the K7D-L @ 150 (max) for as long as I can remember and I've never had a problem. Recently, I'm having power supply problems, but I'm sure they are not related.

I've been able to run up to 150 FSB with no problems with USB, AGP or any other peripherals.

Realistically, you should be safe up to about 155-160 FSB on this chipset. The K7D, of course, is limited to 150, so it is generally safe to max out the board.

Last edited:
I've been able to get 150Mhz (75Mhz) on my ASUS Geforce 3 using many different motherboards including the K7D. Though now I can only get to 144Mhz but thats because of my CPU's limit.

i don't know about the k7d...although it should be the same...

in the old 440bx slot 1 board days, almost all video cards did at least 88mhz agp...and most a little over 90mhz and some up to 100mhz agp clock...

this board only has 2/3 and 3/4 agp settins...so at 150mhz fsb...that's 100mhz agp speed!!!

dustybyrd said:
i don't know about the k7d...although it should be the same...

in the old 440bx slot 1 board days, almost all video cards did at least 88mhz agp...and most a little over 90mhz and some up to 100mhz agp clock...

this board only has 2/3 and 3/4 agp settins...so at 150mhz fsb...that's 100mhz agp speed!!!

On the K7D, at 150 FSB, the PCI bus is at 37.5 MHz and the AGP is at 75 MHz. The chipset has 1/3 (PCI) and 2/3 (AGP) dividers when the FSB jumper is set to 100 and 1/4 (PCI) and 1/2 (PCI) dividers when the FSB jumper is set to 133 (which you can then overclock to 150).

My K7D causes problems at anything over 140MHz (video corruption on OS load at 144 and 150). Everything else in the machine (RAM, video card, etc etc) have run on another (uniprocessor) board at a 150 FSB without any problems, and many others have reported getting K7Ds to run at 144 and 150, so I suspect it's a bit like CPUs: some will do it, others won't.

For failure at 144MHz FSB, the only things plugged in ar a GF2MX200 (yeah, this isn't a gaming machine :) ), a WD800JB, and single 256MB stick of PC2700 (rated CAS2@150MHz, CAS2.5 elsewhere, running at CAS2.5).

My K7D causes problems at anything over 140MHz (video corruption on OS load at 144 and 150). Everything else in the machine (RAM, video card, etc etc) have run on another (uniprocessor) board at a 150 FSB without any problems, and many others have reported getting K7Ds to run at 144 and 150, so I suspect it's a bit like CPUs: some will do it, others won't.

For failure at 144MHz FSB, the only things plugged in ar a GF2MX200 (yeah, this isn't a gaming machine :) ), a WD800JB, and single 256MB stick of PC2700 (rated CAS2@150MHz, CAS2.5 elsewhere, running at CAS2.5).

sounds like the chipset--clock generator in that board is not stable at more than 144mhz...

assuming you have checked all the other components in other single cpu machines...it's very unlikely that agp speeds will be an issue on dual AMD MPX boards...

emboss said:

You might want to check your Northbridge heatsink and make sure it has some thermal paste on it and is seated well. Also, make sure it is getting some airflow across it, either with the stock heatsink fan, or some peripheral airflow from a heatsink.

I never even considered data corrupution.. How high FSB before HDD starts going, and what solution have you been able to find?

Currently plan on using an old adaptec 29160 on 64/66 pci.

What scsi raid or non-raid card is FSB sensitive?

thanks in advance

I've used several U160 cards up to 150FSB on other boards without problems, including ServeRAIDs and LSIs. At 150, the ServeRAIDs are stable, but any higher and they get errors attempting to load the OS.The 29160 should be fine, but I haven't tested it yet.

You shouldn't have problems with data corruption, until you get to about 160 FSB (40 MHz PCI). The K7D only goes up to 150, though, so you really don't need to worry about it.

yeah I run at 150mhz FSB with no issues. Though as a general rule I don't run my fsb at anything other than 133mhz. I figure for the meager performance improvment its not worth running all of my componets out of spec.

I have seen with time running systems out of spec can make the system flakey with time. Of course this various with componets.

Personally unless you can notice the peformance boost its not worth it. Though I do however overclock my cpu's, but only by the multiplier.

I feel just the oppsite, I think overclocking the FSB is the most important. Overclocking the FSB improves the preformance of every component, you just need to find the last point where everything is stable and go one step down from that just to be sure everything will run stable. The last think I do is change the multi on the cpu since it only effects the preformance of the CPU, although the CPU is probably the most important component overall.
Guess its just a difference of opinion.

I had troubles around 140Mhz FSB. Eventually realized that it was the bundled USB 2.0 card that came with the mobo that was causing the BSODs and yanked it. My rig is now prime stable at 150Mhz FSB.

i was under the impression that the bottleneck fbs for dual AMD boards was like 144 fbs... how are you able to achieve 150?

the board is perfect ly happy with running at 150 mhz but at this speed the pci is at 37.5.
Iv had no problems going up to 40 mhz pci in the past but i cant get there with the cpu any morenot prime stable. i have some ideas that ill try i belive its posible I want to build ducts for my cpus ie between pan and heat sink to help remove deadspot and im thinking about a bigger power supply with more amps on my 12 volt or maybe ill aliveate the 12 volt load with a second psu
Not all parts are created equel.

Last edited:
Orginally posted by mumrah
i was under the impression that the bottleneck fbs for dual AMD boards was like 144 fbs... how are you able to achieve 150?

No way. People lucky enough to get the Iwill MPX2 sometimes get 166 with the right stuff, I even hear the Chaintech 7KDD (I think) can reach 166 sometimes.

Back