• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All i can say is "Compusa really needs to give me a job as computer repair"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Effulgence

Disabled
All i can say is "Compusa really needs to give me a job as computer repair"

Okay so it was on yesterday that i rebooted and couldnt get back into windows because i would get a blue screen of death saying i have an incomplete boot volume. I told my dad and while i was away he tried to fix it but ended up halfway formatting the hd (he shut down in dos before it was finished) and told me that neither norton, windows installation cd, nor maxtor diagnostics would read my drive. So I came home and fixed it in 2 hours by reinsallting the master boot record and the boot sector a dozen times but found that every time it would just rewrite over the corrupted area on the hd at which point i needed to run chkdsk 5 times to get all the errors. Now im back and good so yay! For a while i was scared i was gonna lose all 7,000 of my songs.

Was it Unmountable Boot Volume? Boot from your XP CD and use the recovery console, run CHKDSK /R. Should fix it. Make sure SP1 is installed or it will probably happen again.

-Rav

This is off topic but I have a question regarding "unmountable boot volume". I have had a drive that always gives me this message within one week of installation. I noticed that you said it would continue to happen if xp sp1 was not installed. Why do you say this? I have not installed sp1 and if this is really the reason that the message appears, it is an easy solution! Thanks.

You might want to consider backing up your MP3s to CD so you dont have to worry about trying to recover from another problem. You can have the option of just doing a clean reinstall if it happens again

Effulgence said:
Its way way too many mp3s to back up with only a cd burner.

Thats not true. It just takes alot of time and patience. I backed up about 5 gigs worth of music, and then bought a dvd burner, and filled up another 5 dvds. :D

Back