• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D-Link Extreme 802.11 G?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

Has anyone tried the new D-Link wireless routers? They claim speeds of 108 Mbs.

I'm using a Linksys "b" router and want to upgrade to a "g".

Thanks

Why upgrade? Unless you're running multiple computers and have a fast connection, you'll never see those speeds.

Why upgrade?

Reason #1 - Faster downloads across my home network as well as the internet.

Reason #2 - Better distance from the router.

The new maximum pc has a review of it. They gave it a 9 out of 10. They benched a DL of 533MB test file in 3min 18sec. But they noted something about the upload speed but I dont remember it all. I can post back later if needed. BTW: I too am thinking of getting one, currently i have the 22Mbps 802.11b Dlink setup.

yeha might as well get it for the speed, its starting to match wired speeds, so go for it :)

The new issue of Max PC has confirmed that the D-Link DOES double the download speed to ~108 mbs by using 2 channels.

Well, it looks like I'm buying a new router. Now all I have to do is find a good deal. :)

I just ordered the router + PCMCIA card from Buy.com for $138 -$40 MIR.

I'll definitely post a review.

D-link 802.11 G

I have the D-link 802.11b router and two nics as my network. I am very pleased about the setup and the performance. I have upgraded my router and both nics to run 22mbps and I have noticed a difference in transfer speeds when tranfering files over the network. I have "not" noticed a difference in speed downloading files from the internet.:( What I like about the D-link setup is the very cool software sniffer program that comes with the nics. Windows wireless software blows and it kept kicking me off the signal. The software that comes with the D-Link nics logs you on when your puter turns on:cool: I will not upgrade my wireless network untill wireless gets as fast as a 10/100 wired router.

i bought the D-link 802.11g a couple of months ago and im very pleased with it its my 3rd router, (SMC, Belkin) and its by far the best one for less money than i paid for either or my last 2. have not had a single problem with the D-Link since i installed it

rabidchicken said:
i bought the D-link 802.11g a couple of months ago and im very pleased with it its my 3rd router, (SMC, Belkin) and its by far the best one for less money than i paid for either or my last 2. have not had a single problem with the D-Link since i installed it

Can the 54Mbps version be upgraded to run the 108Mbps via firmware?

the cards seem ok but in my opinion you should try to stick with the same brand/series or card that your router is... i know when i switched to an smc router none of my belkin cards would work with it even though they were all 802.11b and ive also noticed fewer disconnects etc.... but when i was in college i used netgear cards to plug directly into the network and never really had any problems

yeah, i got the xtreme g router and card, but have to wait until around jan 4th to use it :p i can post my experiences at that time if you're interested...

Back