• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Demos on nvidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redken

Hi guys!
Can Ati demos be run on nvidia cards and vice versa?
I was under the impression that they couldn't ( unless with some special rapper, like for dawn demo on ati) but my uncle swears that he ran Ati's car demo on his FX 5200 without any special driver or wrapper. Is this a fact or a bunch of ..:eek: ....:D
Just curious

I can't see why not.

the dawn may have needed a rapper, but the ati demos are just done in DX....why need a rapper?

anyway, I may be wrong.
but they should work.

mica

Pro'lly. nVidia had done something special w/ it's demos that required the wrapper to get around. ATI demos are just DX9-based (I think), so they shouldn't require anything special.

ATi demos should work fine. The reason the nVidia demos needed a wrapper is because they wern't programmed in DirectX. Instead (to show off the feature) they were programmed in nVidia's propritary language (I belive it's called CG?).

JigPu

Thanks Guys!

Hey you guys know of any really good demos ( not benchmark programs like 3dmark03 or aquamark, ect.) that run very well and look very well... for showing off purposes ;) (I don't like to show off since I do this for myself but once in a blue moon...it's good for the soul:cool:

Last edited:
If you want to check out DX9 goodness, RTHDRIBL makes me :drool:

It's only problem is that it probably won't run well... On my modded 9500 I max out at ~20FPS in a 640x480 window. Though the effects look awesome if it runs smoothly.

lens.jpg

Looking through a sphere set to 'glass' material. Being glass, it has a lens effect which is why everything is upside down. If you look closely, you can ALSO see reflection of what's behind the camera from off the surface of the sphere.

JigPu

One of my favourites is still the beautiful Matrox Reef demo. It will run on Radeon cards superbly, but all the textures are missing when run on a Nvidia card.

reef1.jpg
reef.jpg

My favourite Radeon demo is "pipedreams" because it's just a very clever idea, but so impossible to do in real life, also has some missing textures on Nvidia cards.

pipedream.jpg

Last edited:
I should have included links before but was in a hurry:eek:

The Pipe Dream demo is DX9 only and can be downloaded HERE (as can all the other official ATI demos)

The Matrox Reef Demo requires some work to make it run on an ATI card. Also for some unknown reason Matrox have removed the demo and I can't find it for download anywhere now........ I have it though ;)

Go HERE and look for a topic by me for more details, and also the link posted below that by 55MHz

Last time I tried to run the nvidia demos, they told me I couldn't run them because I didn't have an FX card. Shenanigans. I had a GF3 at the time and I wanted to see the new Dawn demos. She's a hottie.

Maybe ATi doesn't discriminate with their demos, but nvidia detects what card you have and decides for you.

I would like to see that Matrox reef demo.

You cant run Dawn anyway, your card isnt DX9 compliant. It doesnt have the features required. And Blandrunner, none of the download links to the demo seem to work. Why did matrox try so hard to get rid of it anyway?

Yuriman

It is disappointing when these companies act like this over what is now an old demo for old hardware, (it was originally a tech demo for G400 IIRC?). I can understand them not wanting to cope with the download bandwidth as it's over 100mb, but why stop fan sites offering to host it? it's not as if they have a performance 3D card in their range at the moment either.

Reasons are immaterial I guess, as said I have it so if you can't work out what to do I'm not going to draw you a map and risk the wrath of the mods ;)

I know... Takes some serious hardware even at 640x480! Especially with the Glass materials :eek:

JigPu

Back