• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling and Modding the Harddrive, the start of a new project!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Ok, I had an idea last night about getting my computer more silent then it was (which it really was NOT), so out came the BEER! That's right, all the best ideas are while drinking arent they? LOL...anyway I had an idea to suspend the HD and have it NOT touch the computer. HMMM...Lets see what I came up with!

First the obligatory shot of the BEER in question!
drinking.JPG

And now the final result of stage 1...operation "Shut the hell up!"
suspension.JPG

Also in the rear it was time to cut out that bad bad stamped grill thingy.
open2.JPG

Well at least you all get to see my test case, yes it is an ugly as all hell server tower but it has served as a test bed for most of my MODS and ends in the past because of all the open space inside it I have to work with...I dont think I will ever give it up but as soon as all my main mods are done to it I might just add a coat of color to it ;)

Case temps DID improve with the TT SF2 installed in front of the harddrive as well, also improved airflow out of the rear of the case helped as well. I am going to replace all the fans in the computer (minus the blower on the CPU) with Vantec stealth fans for even more silence.

Oh, DUH!!!! I forgot to post the results! LOL...yes it did improve the vibration and the noise from the harddrive. I would recommend this mod to anyone looking for an easy way to silence the computer a little more :)

CA ,Have you checked out the MODDING XASER III thread lately.You have a very interesting idea there.NICE!! There are some different HDD mount ideas there.Your welcome to post a pick of your idea there. Check it out and join the ongoing rig configuration changes. THE FANMAN:cool:

Back