• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water chiller idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I have an idea for a water chiller and i was wondering what you guys think about it. I have one of those pelt. minifridges which i have taken apart and stuff and i was thinking about putting 2-3 more pelts which ionto the metal thing s inside the fridge and the stock pelt is hooked to. Then from there cap off the open side of it by welding a sheet of metal over the top and adding some barbs. From there i would put another pump in my res (which is fairly big and has enough room for another pump) and pump water though the "metal box" w/ pelts on it. As for cooling the pelts i just planned on getting some massive aluminium heatsinks for cheap and a bunch of 80mm fans conisdering ill have 13 extra ones after i replace all mine when xmas rolls around. What do you guys think of this? Btw I will have foam and stuff the "metal box" to help insulate it and keep heat away. If this description seems no so "detailed" and is hard to understand let me know and ill draw some pics w/ autocad later.

So it would pretty much be a waste if I had 3 80w tecs and a unknown "W" tec cooling some 91ºF water?

Just wondering....For what reasons has this method failed? Just not able to keep up w/ the heat the water is putting out?

That's roughly 240watts of cooling power, if you run them at 12V they put out about 53watts each, so now its 150watts. Your processor will put out somewhere around 120watts, if you add ina video card along with any heat loss/bad efficiency, you are already overwhelming them.

Besides, that will just keep the water around ambient. And you have to cool those pelts.

Ah ok i understand a bit better now. As for cooling the pelts if I did follow though w/ this or whatever I was jsut gonna get some massive aluminium (due to price of copper) heatsinks from some kinda electronics store and then load them w/ case fans.

you would be better off using the three pelts you have with a heatspreader on the processor, and water cooling that. thats a tried and workable method. even better, invest in 1-2 236 watt peltiers, and build an evaporative cooler (bong) to keep them cool. i'm thinking about that or a direct die refridgeration system. im leaning towards the direct die system, i already have most of the parts i need for it.

any links on bongs? iv heard of them before but all i know is the name

The instructions were pretty cool although I dont see how it cools to water down to below ambient temps unless im missing something.

The evaporation process removes a great deal of heat from the coolant. If you follow those guidelines, you will definitely get subambient temps, even under load.

Sounds like a good idea :). Cant wait till after xmas. Any of you guys have some tips for doing this or anything.

the only problem is that you will be adding moistuer to youre room and you will nead to add water to it.
PS i like to see if somone has made a auto fill for one it could be made from flot and neadle valve just an idia

lclark2074 said:
the only problem is that you will be adding moistuer to youre room and you will nead to add water to it.
PS i like to see if somone has made a auto fill for one it could be made from flot and neadle valve just an idia

I did just what have suggested. Look at the thread I linked to above. I used a toilet float valve.
My biggest issue was keeping the stinky brown algea from growing in the system. Most of the biocides I tried created a lot of foam.

Back