• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dihydrogen Dioxide (Hydrogen Peroxide)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

What is the thermal conductivity and thermal capacity of H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide), as compared to H2O (Dihydrogen Monoxide, or water)?

pic19a.gif

http://www.h2o2.com/intro/properties.html

iNSiGMA said:
yeah, go ahead and drop the H2O2 into your system and watch as it decomposes.

rofl, you could present it as a middle school volcano type science project. :D

i have been told that h2o2 is corosive becuase of the extra oxygen

i however dont think it would decompose becuase there is not catalist for it to split

well, the stuff that is sold in pharmacies is only like 1% h202, i believe. And you dont need a catalyst to make it decompose, it has its own life span.

Crash893 said:
i however dont think it would decompose becuase there is not catalist for it to split

Hydrogen Peroxide will split to oxygen and water itself, allthough a catalyst (or an enzyme such as catalase found in animal liver) will greatly increase the rate of decomposure.

As you can see from the graph that was posted, the heat capacity of Hydrogen Peroxide decreases as concentration increases. Thus its heat capacity is lower than that of a comparable volume of water.

Also, from this graph:
thermo05a.gif

Hydrogen Peroxide has a negative dH of decomposition so it will produce heat when it decomposes!!

Acetone peroxide would have made a decent military explosive if not for its instability. It can not be stressed enough how unstable and dangerous acetone peroxide is. As instability goes this is among the most unstable of other explosives here.

off some website i found, but from this perspective keep it away from stuff like acetone and any acids in general

A mixture of Acetone, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Sulfuric Acid makes a liquid propellant that is very powerful, allow it to crystalize, powder it and that you have something that the military deems worthy of their improvised munitions handbook.

Acetone Peroxide is NOT Hydrogen Peroxide.

I never said I was going to use it in a cooling system. I was going to try to make a cooling system compatible with it. Right now, I have 2 cups of H2O2, one with a peice of copper in it, and one with a peice of aluminum foil. No degratory effects yet....

Of course, I might just pump gaseous hydrogen thru my system, it has a good thermal conductivity... though a small spark...

Back