• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot get 2.4C to even 3GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShakyJake

I was playing around with a set up at work, trying to overclock a 2.4C to 3.0GHz and this thing will not work.

Here's the setup:

ABit IS7-E latest BIOS
(2) 512MB PC3200 DDR CL3
400W power supply
Radeon 9700Pro

In the options, I set the Strap thing to FSB800, set ratio to 5:4 and increased the FSB to 250. RAM is set to SPD. Resulting clock frequency is 3GHz.

I go to setup WinXP with the CD and it blue screens right after the initial detection phase (where you'd hit F6 for mass controllers, etc.) The error is usually IRQ less but not equal or some crap. I've tried increasing the volage to the processor and RAM slightly with the same result.

I set the system to default speed (2.4Ghz) and it works fine. What am I missing? Could this be a crap 2.4? I've tried in the past with two other 2.4C's and got the same result. So I'm thinking I'm not doing something right. I have no idea.

Thanks for any input.

I would set the ratio to 3:2 and relax the memory timings, and then increase the FSB to see what the CPU will do. Then I would start tightening the memory. Also watch the CPU temperature. May be the CPU cooler is not making good contact. In general a 2.4c should make the 3Ghz at or very close to stock voltage.

sunspt said:
What stepping is your 2.4?

Uhm..the box says DSL6Z3 pack date of 11/06/03

Thanks for the other tips, I'm loading XP with default settings and will try overclocking from there. Usually I figure an OS load is a good test of stability...

Set your agp/pci frequency to fixed. if you dont when you oc the system your agp and pci slots will raise with it and go out of spec.

Also disable the last 2 GAT settings.

Im thinking its because your agp pci isnt locked tho truth be told.

Actually, I did set it to FIXED. So the AGP/PCI is running spec. I'll try your other recommendations. thanks.

Welp, still no luck. I've used all advice here and it refuses to overclock AT ALL. Even a mild o/c to 2.6GHz it will crap out.

Tried using the 3:2 setting, but won't even post with that.

The only thing I can think of is that the memory I'm using is causing a problem, although the timings are set to SPD and I've tried different sticks we have) . It works totally fine when the processor is at 2.4, but any o/c'ing and it's crash city.

Is the ABit IS7 / i865 chipset boards super sensitive to RAM quality? I'm just using a pair of Kingston value RAM that we had. I have some HyperX modules coming in tomorrow I'm going to try.

Getting super frustrated here.

ShakyJake said:
... although the timings are set to SPD and I've tried different sticks we have...

For now, don't use SPD, try to relax (increase) timings a little and see what happens.

Startech said:

For now, don't use SPD, try to relax (increase) timings a little and see what happens.

I'll try that next. However, interesting thing I found is if I install just one memory module, system works fine at 3GHz. I was installing the two DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 as per the manual.

Unfortuantely, switching to 3:2 ratio and trying 3.2GHz system won't even post.

ShakyJake said:

I'll try that next. However, interesting thing I found is if I install just one memory module, system works fine at 3GHz. I was installing the two DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 as per the manual.

Unfortuantely, switching to 3:2 ratio and trying 3.2GHz system won't even post.

Does it matter which one of the two sticks you use?

The following is what I have my settings at. Hopefully there is something in there you missed and it will help. A last ditch effort if you will.

Softmenu setup

Cpu operating speed - user defined
Ext clock - 250
NB strap as - PSB800
Dram Ratio - 5:4
Agp Ratio - Fixed
Fixed Agp Freq - 66/33
Cpu Power supply - default
DDR SDR voltage - 2.6v
AGP voltage - 1.5v

Advanced Chipset Features

Game Accellerator - Auto
Refresh Cycle Time - Normal
Read Delay - Auto
Read Delay Adjust - Disabled
Command Per Clock - Disabled

I didnt place my memory timings because I think the timings would be to tight. However, I dont see much of a problem with your memory settings at auto because if you set the FSB to 250 with a 5:4 ratio your memory should be running at DDR 400 wich is spec for your ram. Your info says you have ram with a cas lat of 3. So to be sure your motherboard is detecting it right make sure it isnt set to anything lower then that (yet).

I would also try memtest86 to check your ram at default speeds to be sure in duel channel mode they are able to handle everything ok.

Startech said:

Does it matter which one of the two sticks you use?

Nope, single channel works fine with either stick. Dual channel doesn't.

I own a shop here so have a ton of memory to play with. It all acts the same (again, this is NOT high quality memory. Just Kingston, some Elixir, etc.)

ShakyJake,

Have you tried increasing the memory voltage? The board you have is super sensitive to memory overclocks. You will probably need BH-5 memory to max out the CPU. But try putting your voltage at max possible first. If you didn't disable the last two GAT fields, make sure you try that.

As sugested, be sure your GAT is auto,auto,auto,disable,disable and up progressively the VDIMM to see if it makes a difference

Intel75 said:
Have you tried increasing the memory voltage? The board you have is super sensitive to memory overclocks. You will probably need BH-5 memory to max out the CPU. But try putting your voltage at max possible first. If you didn't disable the last two GAT fields, make sure you try that.

I've tried that. Memory voltage is at 2.8, set timings to highest possible (8, 4, 4, 3), disabled the last two GAT settings, all else are AUTO. No luck.

Gonna try the PC3500 Kingston tomorrow and see what happens. It has to be the memory...I can't believe it won't even post at 3.2 GHz. :mad:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is BH-5 memory?

Back