• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pausing in game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

Im getting pauses every few minutes in games. I dont think its a fault of a driver or a card, I think it is from memory swapping, or something like that.

Any ideas how to stop it?

Check your resource usage. If you have too many background services/apps running, it'll cause your system to hit the pagefile. Also, don't run MBM5 while playing games as it'll cause stutters whenever it updates.

~THT

I dont think its the programs. It never did this, before with them all on, and I have less on now since I put the Windowsxp msconfig into win2k.

It started after I reformatted, and hasnt stopped since. It does it on every game the same way. Pauses for 2 or 3 seconds, then goes back to normal, every few minutes, or occasionally it does it a few times in a row.

No problems with my computer, except for an option that was changed back, or my hard drive going bad, because it didnt do this before I reformatted, and I installed drivers, and UT2K3 before anything else, and it did it immediately. It did it on my old card, and now on my new one as well.

So, maybe some option was reset because I reformatted, or maybe I had a bad install when I reformatted. It did seem to take a lot longer to reformat this time, then the other times.

I just have a feeling that it is some memory switch, cause it pauses then goes fine, and it seems to do it close to a set time. As if it runs out of memory, then switches it around then it runs out again, and takes a certain time before it does it again depending on how much memory the game uses.

On counterstrike it did it once, and then worked for an hour, or so, as if it didnt need to do it as much since cs isnt as sophisticated.

I might reformat though anyway, if I dont get any good ideas from you guys about what it could be, because reformatting has always solved the problems I get, lol.

EDIT-Reading from the game disc, like loading off of it? No, that isnt it. I am playing all kinds of demos, and games that dont need discs. I dont know what RMA, or PIO is.

EDIT2-One thing I noticed is that it seems to do this more often when something special happens. An explosion, a fast turn, tank flying out of no where firing rockets, etc. Of course that could just be chance, coincidence.

Last edited:
I have no idea what memory timings are, but nothing is overclocked at all. Brand new video card 2 days old, and a new hard drive, about 2 weeks old. It did this with the old card too after the reformat, but not before.

When I reformated it was doing it differently then other times, or at least I think it was. First it hung at 0 pecent complete for a long time. Maybe 5 minutes, then it would do maybe 10 percent at a time, then hang for a minute then go again.

It could be the hard drive. When I first got it, it made some weird sound.

Yeah fast write is on, but I dont think it was on when I had my other video card in here, and it did it then too. I dont even think that card had fast write. It was a TI 4200.

Ill try with fast write off for 10, or so minutes and see what happens.

Try turning off Fast Write support in your BIOS (if that setting is available). If not, turn them off at the driver level and see what happens. Some people, myself included, associate Fast Writes with stability as well as performance issues.

~THT

Ok, that didnt help.

Also, like I said above, it usually does it when something extra is going to happen. I went in to a deathmach of UT2K3, and it did it right when I hear someone fire off a redeemer.

This is annoying.

I have 512.

Its in my profile, but I should put it in a sig. Ill do that now.

You say its doing it more often when graphics are more intense? And less when they are less intense? This sounds like a video problem to me. Do you have agp enabled in bios? Sounds fishy to me.

Yeah, but I dont mean when graphics are more intense, its when something that doesnthappen as much that is more spectacular, and out of the ordinary happens. Like the redeemer gets shot off, or explodes, and it just did it again when deemer was out. Just a second ago. It also likes to do it when I hit the button to show scores.

It shouldnt be a video card problem, because it did it with my old card I had just 2 days ago. Only way is if the drivers I installed for that caused it to happen with that card, then when I got the new one it is still doing it, but that was nvidia, and this is ati. I dont see how it could effect it, and I used a driver cleaner.

This also happened on the old card with 3 different drivers installed. It seemed worse with certain ones, but could be coincidence.

Im just going to reformat. Its doing some weird stuff now. Leaving windows open that I close, failing to show Start programs window, etc.

It sounds like you need to reinstall the chipset drivers to me.
This same thing happened to a friend of mine after he installed the 3.8s.

Back