Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Heat sensors, where to place them best?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 06:24 PM Thread Starter   #1
ed_fubes

Heat sensors, where to place them best?

Hi,

I have purchased Cooldrive 4 from coolermater. Where exactly can I place the CPU heat sensor? I have it now touching the heatsink, but I dun think it's correct, because it's giving me 28'C, where as my mobo is telling me the CPU is only at 23'C. Where's the most acurate place I can place the sensor? I can't put it between the heatsink and the chip, can I? I guess this questions goes for the GPU as well.

Thnx.
ed_fubes is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 07:42 PM   #2
prankstar008

A common thing to do is use thermal tape and tape it to the underside of the CPU, aslo, some people drill holes in the side of the HS and place the probe in there....I prefer the first method though.

|LIAN LI PC-65<<rip off|
|ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0|
|Advanced Micro Devices 2500+ mobile @ 2.36GHZ cooled by Thermalright SLK 947U and AS5|
|ATI 9600XT|
|512 MB of Corsair XMS PC-3200 @ 2-2-2-6| I Pack Heatware
prankstar008 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 07:49 PM   #3
JerkasaurusRex

10 Year Badge

Sometimes the wire is too big on the probe and you cant get it on the underside of the CPU so what you do with that is you use thermal tape or scotch tape and attach the probe on the top side of the CPU with the tip of the probe touching the CPU die.

Wow, that was 1 big sentance.

0 = n - n
JerkasaurusRex is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 09:08 PM   #4
archilochus
THE Senior FANMAN

Depends on what chip you have.On a Intel,at least this is what I did.When I installed my new HSF before I put the fixture on.I took some thermal tape.Trimed the senser plastic a wee bit,thermal taped it to the side if the CPU.Then I installed the SP-94 HSF.My remote thermal probe reads 4 C lower then my bios reading.I just add 4 C to compensate. THE FANMAN

80g.Maxtor PATA and SATA *Xaser III. v1000D modified
FULL LOAD Temp 36C / Syst. temp 23C /Ambient 20C (room temp)
F@H TEAM 32 :thup:
archilochus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 10:24 PM   #5
Snipester

By thermal tape do you mean that scotch clear tape they give you?
Snipester is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-18-03, 10:36 PM   #6
CrashOveride

If it's AMD just trim the plastic off the tip and put in NEXT TO (not on top of) it with a little tape of any sort and maybe a little thermal compound (AS3/5 whatever) around it.

BTW,
Welcome To The Forums!
Introduce yourself

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!

Last edited by CrashOveride; 12-18-03 at 11:02 PM.
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool