• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before I screw something up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I just wanted to make sure I get the right additive before I put it in when I get home in the morning. I keep seeing people talk about the zerex super protector so that's what I went looking for. I found zerex water pump lubricant & protector at autozone. I asked for the super protector and the guy helping me said that's all they had. Before I buy it, is that the right stuff? 14.5oz bottle that looks like a little antifreeze container. I looked on the zerex website and the picture on the site looks like what I saw today but I thought I would double check with you guys since you know exactly what I'm looking for. Afterall, this is the first "real" watercooling setup I've had and I don't want to ruin it the first day it's installed. :)

The stuff in the second link is what I saw at autozone. The guy told me that was all they had for the protector's so I assumed that was what everybody was talking about.

You probably want to have the super protectant rather than super coolant. Super coolant is modified antifreeze and as such hurts performance.
As long as you use the protectant moderately (say 5-10%) it should protect your system and have no adverse affect on performance.

I don't see how it hurts performance seeing it is made for racing engines and lowers the surface tension of water. Could be wrong but that's why I bought it. 5-10 percent is all you should use of any additive IMO. :)

Well, you are not putting it in a racing engine now, are you?
I didn't know it affects surface tension, and that certainly is a good thing.
Your rule of thumb is good but not exactly correct for all additives, i'm afraid.
After all, i've seen posts where ppl put 50% watter wetter in the system.
With antifreeze to achieve decent corrosion protection you should have at least 25% in the system. At that point it does hurt performance.

The zerex "Super Coolant" is not an anti-freeze. It is made for heat removal in racing engines which need no "anti-freeze" capabilities at all. Basically it reduces wtaer's surface tension and has anti-corrosion additives. This is why it works fairly well for WC systems.

The "Super Protectant" is not the same thing.

Clarification: by anti-freeze i mean a mixture of water and glycol based compounds.
The "super coolant" description does indeed state that it is "concentrated corrosion inhibitors solution" and recommends using it at 10% by volume. The MSDS is not much of a help although it does state that it's 50% water.
I was confused by the name probably.The purple color indicates that it is closer to watter wetter than to antifreeze.
On another note,at what temperature does racing engine operate?

Edit: found msds for super coolant:
http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.as...EN&F=ANSI&N=ZEREX+RACING+SUPER+COOLANT+6/1+QT

It states:
2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight)
-------------------------------------------- ------------- -------------
ETHYLENE GLYCOL 107-21-1 25.0- 25.0
ETHYLHEXANOIC ACID 149-57-5 8.0- 18.0
POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE 1310-58-3 1.0- 11.0
4-HYDROXYBENZOIC ACID 99-96-7 1.0- 7.0
DIETHYLENE GLYCOL 111-46-6 1.0- 6.0

so it's a version of anti-freeze, really.

Last edited:
I read that post a while back. How does it relate to your first post:

"You probably want to have the super protectant rather than super coolant. Super coolant is modified antifreeze and as such hurts performance.
As long as you use the protectant moderately (say 5-10%) it should protect your system and have no adverse affect on performance."

Unless we are supposed to take your statements for facts.

BTW... read your sig, then my previous post. You don't even notice bieng hoist on your own petard.

Happy Holidays! :)

1.Personal attacks are not permitted on the forums.
2.What exactly troubles you in my first post, which was further explained later?

I am walking away from this one, because i will not downgrade myself to arguing on such childish level.

That's good, I don't want this thread to go down that road. We're all adults here(I think) and we should act accordingly. There's no need for hostility of any sort on any of these forums. Thanks guys :)

No worries, I just didn't want this thread to end up getting out of hand. :)

Back