• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the deal with Zone Alarm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

assemblage

I've always used the Zone Alarm freebie version since it came out. I since upgraded my OS from 2000 to XP and the thing doesn't seem to work right. :eek:

I first noticted when I would leave my computer on to run Cure for Cancer program. It wouldn't upload the results. I'd try to open the browser to connect to a web site and it wouldn't find the site. I'd shut down Zone Alarm and no problem... everything works fine.

I've shared some files using Kazaa Lite and found that I couldn't surf worth a crap while doing that. I often couldn't even connect to a site. I figured it was Kazaa making it difficult. Nope, I turn off Zone Alarm and it works fine.

Anyone else noticed this?

I never have liked ZA...been proved it is pretty easy to bypass and it doesnt catch when the kernal want to connect to whoever is requestion it to talk too *cough* M$ *cough*...I personally like Tiny Personal Firewall 2, not 3...and Tiny Personal Firewall 2 is free, unlike 3...and 3 doesnt catch the kernal either :rolleyes:

I have used both ZA free and ZA Pro on my Xp machine whitout any problems. First question would be have you updated your verson of ZA? Also just to make sure, do you have all your program access's defaulted to a Question mark? Have you tried uninstalling ZA then reinstalling it? This is probably a dumb question but is this a clean install of XP or did you put it over top of 2k?

I upgraded to the new version and found out what the problem was. The new version checks to see if you have PC-Cillin running. I did and it said there were some compatability issues with PC-Cillin's Personal Firewall and Zone Alarm. It says if I wish to continue installing Zone Alarm, I must turn off Pc-Cillin's personal firewall. I don't have time to test it out atm, but I bet that's been my problem.

Back