• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

98 how do you??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassbeatz

i have knaffed my uncles com by putting the wrong chipset drivers on, this has now given a post boot saying "windows protection warming"

we have been told there is no way to get this o/s to start,and put in another hard drive in and pull the files off we need.,which is no prob to me.

the prob i have is how do we retreave emails off the old drive,there are some important one's we ned but don't no how to retreave them..........

any sugesstions appriciated.

have a merry christmas to all on overclockers

what if i put this drive in as slave,put a new o/s on another drive,will outlook transfer the files form its old folder or not?

hmm. . . i guess you could just copy the old folder over. but i wouldnt really recommend this. i know on mozilla you can import these kind of files from OE, so you might be able to do the same in outlook express itself. of course im jsut speculating. i dont have outlook express on any of my computers.

Before you try what Oni suggested, I would copy the email files just in case something goes wrong.

Most likely the emails are stored here (at least in WinME they are)--> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{2B0C3B64-85A3-485B-9370-61D9FAC249D5}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The # between { } will be different, you could just copy the entire "Application Data" Folder to another HDD/partition.

The address-book is most likely here --> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\

You could do a search for "inbox.dbx" or "outbox.dbx" if the files are located somewhere else.

While this has worked many times for me, some people seem to have problems, which I think has to do with a different version of OE that they may have used. But at least you know you have the emails and may be able to recover/restore them using DBXtract (Visual Basic 6 run time required), more info can be found here.

Another usefull tool that may help is Express Archiver

I don't know what kinda drivers you installed, but did you try to boot in safe mode (press and hold F8 at startup) and uninstall the drivers?
If there's no uninstall option you could do some registry editing....backup the email files first and make a backup of the registry before you start messing with the registry.
uhh maybe you could export the files in safe mode?

These links may be helpfull:
Win98 Repair
Drivers Safe Mode

Uninstall the drivers in safe mode, then reboot to DOS, and run REGWIZ, which is the registry repair wizard in 98.
try and use a backup from before the date you installed the drivers.
If not, copy the file in which the e-mail program is stored onto a CD or tape (yes, i said tape......LOL), format the drive, reinstall 98 and copy the file back on.
Youll need to re-install the e-mail program into the same folder that you moved back onto the drive, but it should work (it did for me a few times over)

PoX

Back