• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9800SE (1024-MC07)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coolcpu2

Registered
From what I've read, it seems this is a 256 bit version, but I'd like verification. Even if it doesn't soft mod, it should be a bit better than a 9600 pro, right? This card is model 1024-MC07.

I can't seem to link the item, but it's from this website:

http://www.myinfinity.com/

The PowerColor 9600XT I was interested in turns out to not be in stock unfortunately, so I'm still looking for a new video card.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
It's $146. Not sure it's 256 bit though. I've read conflicting info.

As for a 9700 pro for $200, if I could find a new one for this price, I might consider it.

I think getting a 9800SE is a bad idea. Most of the SE cores are rejects from a batch. I doubt it will OC much beyond stock settings. It is kinda equilivalent to a 9600/pro but im not sure. I would just wait unless its an urgent purchase (since R420/370 is right aroud the corner

How soon do you think the new models will be out? Reason is, I can order a PowerColor 9600XT 500/680 with free HL2, 2 full games and 6 lite games for $170 total. I'm using a FX5200 now. Sure, I could wait, but there's "always" something better coming along.

It shouldnt be any later than about April for the next-gens to come out. The R420 is slatd to be 2x faster than a 9700pro. It might be worth the wait.....

Oh nevermind I see you are using a 5200FX as well!:D I just upgraded mine to a 9800np. In my case, it wasnt worth the wait. I would try to find a 9800. Sure a 9600XT is very fast....but it is no 9800. Unless youre dyin for extra FPS (like I was) thn you might want to wait.

9600XT may or may not be worth a $200 upgrade. IMHO, but a 9800 for $200 is worth it. Wait until after christamas, maybe CC will have another sale for 9800s @ $200 again

If I'd have to pay $200, I probably wouldn't get it. I find the 5900FX to be a good price, but I can get the 9800XT for like $25 cheaper than a 5900FX (retail at least). Plus, there are the games included with the 9600XT but I see no games included with the 5900FX I was looking at.

I don't want to wait and then get a somewhat better card for a higher price than a 9600XT, but with no games.

If you are looking for a vid card in the Nvidia flavor try and look up EVGA's new 5900SE or 5900XT from the other venders. This is the version that comes with Call of Duty, retail version. Cost at Newegg is 179.

It is the same as the 5900 but has lower latency thus is somewhat faster. GPU is clocked the same but the ram is only 700 compare to 850 but the lower latency makes up for it. It is about 5% slower than the 5900 but it comes with a full version of CoD. This card is 256bit bus only difference again is the lower ram, mid range card.

I'm used to Nvidia, so in a sense I'd rather stick with them. I'm leery going over to ATI. The problem is that I'm in California and would have to pay sales tax if I bought the lowest price 5900. This would bring the price up to about $194 (cheapest one on pricewatch is $179). To me, the $170 PowerColor 500/680 (80mhz higher memory clock than "normal") 9600XT with 2 full games, 6 "lite" games and a coupon for free HL2 seems to be the better deal. Also, CoD is not physically in the box from what I've read. I know that HL2 isn't either, but at least I'm physically getting 2 full games and 6 "lite" games (whatever that means) with the 9600xt.

Last edited:
the 9600xt with those games is a good deal. the fx5900 is a pretty good dx8 card but I dont think gamers will be happy when its no better than a 9600xt in dx9 cause nvidia messed up dx9

Good point, you must always look at the whole pciture. If the deal look good 2 you then get it.

Powercolor is now using a 3rd party manufacturer to get perfromance gains from stock ATi (aftermarket stuff...ie better ram...) So id got for it, why the hell not, its better than the FX and your current card isnt it!?!?!

Back