• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Popups are KILLING ME!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

:mad: Windows XP :mad:
MSIE

:mad:I have tried EVERYTHING!!!:mad:

Pest Patrol
Google popup stopper
popup stopper pro
ad aware 6.0
ad watch 3.0
spysweeper
Spybot Search and Destroy (The best IMO...and I tried quite a few)
Norton Anti-Virus

NOTHING WILL GET RID OF THEM!!! They are driving me insane!
:mad:

Last edited:
In addition to what you've already tried, check to make sure the "Messenger" service is disabled...Start | Run |Type services.msc and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right-click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Under "Startup type", choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party applications should be affected by this.

The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the "net send" command). It uses ports 135 and 139, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups. A good firewall (or disabling the service altogether) will stop them, as ports 135 and 139 should NEVER be wide open to the internet. ;)

open task manager, do you have any unwanted programs running? 1 example is winpup. I finally got rid of it by emptying the internet temporary folder.

I use pop up stopper and the google toolbar and I haven't gotten one in a very long time. I would think that this being the case, they are launching from inside your system. I recommend downloading Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. These are two very good spyware programs that will cleanse your system of any of that crap. ;) Hope this works, popups and spam are evil ;)

Tried Mozilla Firebird? It is the best browser around no unwanted pop ups but it also has NEVER kept out wanted ones (opera skimped on both for me), tabbed browsing, plug-ins galore (mouse guestrures to an MSN IM client), and it's free and opensource! (just google fore mozilla firebird and get the installer, not the normal one...)
EDIT: Here Under contributed releases, the installer. If you don't get the installer some plugins will give you problems with recongnizing and thus working with firebird:D

I am using Mozilla Firebird now and I dont get the popups, but I would still like to get RID of whatever my computer has.

This is rediculous! Maybe I should write MS and tell them I will no longer be using their product because of popups.

its not necessarily M$s fault that youre getting popups, someone might have downloaded some adware on your comp. try doing a thorough virus scan, let Ad-Aware scan EVERYTHING on your computer, clean out your browsers history, cache and cookies, open up msconfig (Start-->run-->"msconfig") make sure there are not any unwanted programs running. if all that doesnt stop it, sounds like the ppl who made the adware are damn smart.

i_am_tux said:
its not necessarily M$s fault that youre getting popups, someone might have downloaded some adware on your comp. try doing a thorough virus scan, let Ad-Aware scan EVERYTHING on your computer, clean out your browsers history, cache and cookies, open up msconfig (Start-->run-->"msconfig") make sure there are not any unwanted programs running. if all that doesnt stop it, sounds like the ppl who made the adware are damn smart.

Did you see the stuff he scanned with?

Mozilla will get rid of the popups almost for sure, and it's way better than IE anyways.

i_am_tux said:

Then they are danm smart because I have done all that, multiple times. I used norton to virus scan. All the scans I ran were up to date. My windows is up to date.

I know its not MS's fault directly, but it IS their fault for having such a weak system. If I issued a product that let something like this into our company, I would have to come in at 2am and work until I got it fixed. MS doesnt have a necessity to make a strong product though, since they dont use their own product to make money**, they just sell it.

**by this I mean my software is used directly by our company to perform processes that in the end, result in our work being performed and money being made. MS just sells a boxed product to a customer. Im sure they run XP on their workstations and such, but they dont make money for every minute XP is up and running.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning this much....there are several things you can, and you shouldn't get any. I fix people's machines that have this exact problem.

First, your priority is to get rid of all Spyware. Download the free version of Adaware..and update it. Then run it and let it find all the spyware. The one machine I was working on had about 500 pieces of spyware...it was crazy. After I get rid of all that, the machine's speed improved greatly. Not to mention got rid of the spyware that'll help put up all the pop-ups.

Second, you then need to do a virus scan. Get a good copy of a good antivirus(such as norton), then update it and run a scan. Just in case you had any stuff.

Third, install pop-up stopper. I personally have pop-up stopper companion and it's great. I have yet to get a pop-up.

I did all that. Its listed in the origional post. It finds new adware every time a popup happens. It will remove them and clear them from the machine but they dont go away.

Im not just a moron, this is like above and beyond the normal pop-up problem. I have used multiple D/R (detection/removal) programs and they wont die. I have cleared my cookies and history and temp files multiple times, both before and after running the D/R's. I have rebooted and ran the D/R's with the "on boot up" configurations, letting them run before windows even fully boots, then ran them first thing when windows was fully booted.

NOTHING WILL KILL THESE STUPID POPUPS! They get through multiple pop-up stoppers (basically meaning my computer has some sort of infection) and hide from all scans.

-note I went back and added the Norton AV to the list of things I did.

-Sidenote: Having now done thorough testing of multiple D/R softwares, I find Spybot's Search and Destory to be the best. Its freeware, updated regularly, has all the features you could want, and actually finds stuff some others dont. Unfortunatly, it hasnt cured my problem.

Last edited:
Well, I just noted those to make sure those were all updated when you did it. You wouldn't believe any many people have horribly outdated products like nav...

Is it possible to reinstall the operating system? Or...even better, reformat and reinstall it? It makes no sense what could be doing this...especially if you disabled messenger service.

They are all updated. I check for updates each time I run any of them. I was going to reformat before I sqitched to Mozilla Firebird and I like it better than MSIE anyway. Thanks for pointing me to that.

More than anything, I want to know what is on my computer and get rid of it. I could reformat but I dont want to if I can avoid it.

I wrote the author of Spybot and hope to hear a reply. From what he has written about his freeware product, he seems to have a genuine intrest in ridding the world of this nasty affliction. I posted him a link to this thread, maybe he can come and enlighten us.

put the IP of the popups into google and see what pops up ;) I am sure you are not the foirst to have that certain pogram messing with you. You could also search the registry for the addy of the popup too. Good Luck

Back