• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD Burner not writing at full speed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

I just recently bought a Plextor Premium 52x32x52 and with Nero 6.0 my average burn speed is anywhere from 48x to 30x. I have all apps that take up CPU closed when I burn. Any ideas why I get such slow burn speeds on my burner. I am using Memorex 52x CD-R's as well.

what is actual time to burn a full cd?

real life speed in a 52x burner varies between 32x and 40x...or so...when it's averaged over the whole CD...

occasionally the cd burning process may hit 52x speeds

i have two 52x burners and both take about 2-2.5min to burn a full CD

I would worry more about data integrity than just pure raw speed. I typically write CD's at one or two notches lower than max to make sure everything works the first time - doing this I have NEVER had a coaster , and this is using different burner brands and blank CD's over the last 3-4 years :)

William

i have a lite-on 40x cdrw drive, and nero 6 detected it as a 12x

after i flashed the firmware, it now detects it as a 32x.

i think this is a flaw in nero 6. lets see if anyone else can verify this;)

madsam said:

well i have 32/12/40 lite-on, and after I flashed it to 40/12/48, I couldn't enable the DMA for that drive and the writing led kep flashing many times during the burning (took me 2 weeks and to find that that was the cause), after i flashed back to the old firmware, everything was solved... weird

madsam said:

My LiteOn40x(LTR40125S) cdrw drive works fine in nero6(6.0.0.15)...

-----
52x burn speed means 52x speed on the outher tracks of the disk as the read/write rate decreases the closer to the center of the disk you get. A 52x player/recorder has a average speed of 25-30x. If you don't believe me, try Nero CD/DVD-speed.

Last edited:
A 56X max CD-RW drive does NOT burn at 56X across the whole disk. It has to go slower at some points. The truth is, after 24X max drives, your returns diminish pretty fast.
Remember, it says 56X max, not 56X across the whole disk.
Towards the center, you are limited by rotational speed. At XXXX RPM's, you have a lot more of the CD passing over the write head at a given time than you do in the center. You can't spin it much faster than 56X speed or you'll rip the disk apart through centrifugal force.

2.5min for a 700mb cd is as fast as you will get, I get the same times with my $45 ASUS 52x Burner. Hope you didnt buy that sexy plexy thinkng it was gonna burn faster than the cheaper ones

As the others pointed out it is 52x max, it usually is between 32-40x average.

Last edited:
Caffinehog said:
A 56X max CD-RW drive does NOT burn at 56X across the whole disk. It has to go slower at some points. The truth is, after 24X max drives, your returns diminish pretty fast.
Remember, it says 56X max, not 56X across the whole disk.
Towards the center, you are limited by rotational speed. At XXXX RPM's, you have a lot more of the CD passing over the write head at a given time than you do in the center. You can't spin it much faster than 56X speed or you'll rip the disk apart through centrifugal force.

Caffinehog slams the nail right on the head! It's top speed is rated 56x though your highly unlikely to ever hit it. It's more of a selling tactic than hardware improvement.

Hmm... Idea!
Why not make a burner with 2 lasers. Letting them burn at two diffrent spots at the same time. Something like letting the first laser burn the inner half while the second laser burns the outher half. Dividing the record in such a way that both parts are finished at the same time.Boom! Instant speed increase.

Too bad I didn't go for that hightech-computer-electronics-education... Maybe I'll draw a nice picture of it in "paint"... Crap! I suck at freehand drawing. Didn't do that graphics-artist thing either... Well, well... It might be a while til you see the brand new "DAWIPER (56x/56x/56x)x2 Ultraspeed-Super-Twin-Laser" in the shops...

With a 52x drive it should go much faster than 8 mins. Have you choosen '52x' or 'maximum speed' in nero? Are your cdr's good enough. With your setup you should at least do it in 3-4 min, burning straight from your hd... What OS, what burner?

Low ram is probably your cut off! Jre you running any other programs while you are burning? Even still I'll bet a lot that it is your RAM or should i say the lack there of.

Captain U said:
anybody know why when I had nero 5.0 it took 8minutes a cd (I have a 52x24x52) and now that I got nero 6.0 it takes 10 minutes?

Check if the DMA is enabled, when my wasnt, the burning light to didn't stay solid, took me 7 to 10 minutes tu burn a cd, when I enabled the DMA... bingo: 2 min 35 sec... :)

Back