• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you paint monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vito

Ive painted old cases with black vinyl dye paint.....I'm wondering if you can paint monitors if you mask off all the important stuff.
My biege white monitors are looking kinda dingy......Id like to do them in black also......whattaya think?

Sure can! three attempts. Auto Paint Gloss Black :D

(I need a free site to host my jpg's)

tig1.jpg

tig2.jpg

tig3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/cid_2120/tig1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/cid_2120/tig2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/cid_2120/tig3.jpg

Last edited:
Just be VERY careful when taking the monitor apart. Don't touch anything that looks like it could hold some juice. And yes...I speak from a personal "shocking" experience.

Drain all the juice out of it before doing any work if you can.

-NCB

Ok, here's some advice.

1.) Unplug the monitor and wait 24 hours before doing anything, it's probably overkill, but is it worth the risk of your life?

2.) Take the backing off INCREDIBLY slowly, I'd get a manual.
3.)If you see a glass orb on the middle, fear it, it's incredibly fragile, and when you break it even scarier.

Call me an ignoramus...but how does a unplugged monitor retain a "stored" electrical shock that can kill ya?
Never heard of this....now Im curious.

Painting a monitor is maybe something I dont really need.

thanks

i saw some site where they showed what you would do when you wanted to paint your monitor, and they said you get a huge screwdriver and a huge electrical wire that they use in outlets. You take the ground cable and plug it into the outlet part, and the otherside wraps around the screwdriver, and all you do is ground the components inside the monitor. If i can find the site i'll post it

edit: i found the site http://www.twistedmods.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=213&page=2

I looked at that tutorial, and OMG, they did something that I would suggest you NEVER DO!!! If you look at their pics, they show wrapping the wire around the ground prong of a plug, and plugging it it. What's wrong with that? the plug they used wasn't connected to anything, so he basicly left a live 120V wire just laying out on his floor. On top of that, if he were to turn the screwdriver one way, then pull on it a little (not on purpose, I'm sure) the wire he has wrapped around the ground plug could short out to one of the live plugs. I would suggest that before anyone attempt this, they use an old plug and cut the other 2 prongs off of the plug before they use it.

well if your really worried, you could do this on a circuit breaker outlet, this would probably add some more protection if anything were to go wrong. And another way of doing it is to just get a thick extension cable or computer power cable, plug it in and put the wire into the ground instead of wrapping. This way theres a smaller risk of the ground shorting to the 120v lines but it may not have a good connection.

But if you do it correctly, then you shouldn't have too much of an problem

Well not of the actual event but the after effects.
Glad it was not my finger :D
pic101.jpg

Edit:
The funny part is when I did this I looked at the rating and it looked a lil small but never the less there it was. So I preceded to discharge.. "SNAP!" Thinking WTF! I looked closer and on the farad value was a scratch not a decimal point. LOL

Last edited:
yea, my dad told me the smallest caps fully charged could still hold quite a charge. He said you short the ends with a screw driver, it makes a huge spark or something or even melts... I kinda forgot what he said, but yea... even small caps hold quite a bit of charge.

I have painted many monitors. Other than getting shocked, reassembling CRTs is sometimes a real pain when you have to get all those buttons, springs, screw alignment holes and everything else to come together as it should. Pay VERY close attention to where everything goes and how it goes in as you disassemble!

Back