• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW5002 or RBX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmonkey

Registered
I'm buying parts for my first WC setup really soon, and I'm not sure which waterblock to buy. The problem is that I have a cheap mobo with no mounting holes. So, I'm basically stuck between choosing a MCW5002 or a RBX with a socket hold-down. I'm going to be using a Via 1300 pump and a Chevette heater core. I've seen reviews that show the RBX as better than the 5002, but only with a high-powered pump. Which would perform best with the Via?

If you plan to upgrade the pump or get a motherboard with mounting holes, then the RBX should be better for the long term. Otherwise, I'd buy the 5002, save $10, and be happy. One advantage to the 5002 is it works about the same with low or high flow. You could add a video block later without affecting CPU cooling very much.

I'd say RBX, and get the brass top if you can. That block will likely out-last the rest of your computer system. The 1300 is not a weak pump.

RBX. I'm using it with a Maze4GPU and an Eheim 1048 (600l/h) your'e pump is stronger then mine. My RBX preforms really well, I like it.

Suma.

Seeing that you have an AMD cpu, logicly speaking, the RBX would be for you because it cools best right on top of the cpu. The swifty, on the other hand, cools evenly all around, and i personally feel that this would better fit a P4 or K8 with IHS. Then again swifty has a very crafted waterblock, very well lapped, even better then hand lapping, and it is very well built. The RBX has fuzzy results as well.. i can't say i'm very impressed with it, but it does embed cathar's orginal design which I like, but the change to wavy channels which i don't like.
really can't make up my mind either, but i can't see anyone being disappointed with either, difference in performance is within the .01 c/w.

Ok, I'm probably going to get the 5002 because I'm planning on buying a GPU block later on, and possibly an NB block. And, it always feels good to have an extra $10 in your wallet.

I have a mag 2 pump with chevette core on an RBX and I am running at 38C full load on Motherboard moniter. With a good pump the RBX should perform better then the swiftech block.

Well i use the Swifty 5002 right now with an amd and mag 2 pump , chevete core, and if i let prime run with max heat sett'n 24 hours i will hit 40, but usually 38,39, so i'd say go with the swifty, thier quality is GRRRRREAT! :beer:

Edit and my OC is better now than in my sig, just cant update it do to my email addy.

repilce said:
Well i use the Swifty 5002 right now with an amd and mag 2 pump , chevete core, and if i let prime run with max heat sett'n 24 hours i will hit 40, but usually 38,39, so i'd say go with the swifty, thier quality is GRRRRREAT! :beer:

Edit and my OC is better now than in my sig, just cant update it do to my email addy.

I second and third that motion. Switech MCW5002 is a great product imho. I have that and the GPU one, MCW50 I think it's called, in series with a Mag 3. Great! I have 40C when fully loaded and running Call of Duty or Battlefied 1942.

sweeeeet!

Back