Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

·Mounting Qs·

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 10:12 PM Thread Starter   #1
ToolBox

Arrow ·Mounting Qs·

Okay, I got a quick question about mounting heatsinks on a GPU.

What would you need to mount something? For instance, like the bar, spacers, washers? What sizes do you need? And in what order do you put them on? Thanks!
ToolBox is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-20-03, 11:14 PM Thread Starter   #2
ToolBox

Someone has to know. Its not complicated
Old 12-21-03, 12:24 AM   #3
gusgizmo
Disabled

from what ive heard, people jsut use a dab of super glue in the corners, and that does the trick. of course, i dont know exactly what your doing.
gusgizmo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-03, 01:02 AM   #4
Strida

Don't use the superglue on a GPU, that's for ram and the south bridge.

For the GPU if you're making (modding) a heatsink just drill holes in the HS that coincide with the holes on your graphics card, then use plastic bolts/nuts to secure the HS to the board.

If you wanna get a real good mount you can make a backpanel thing like the ones that come with thermalright processors (the black X plates...)

Video Card - nVidia 8800GT, stock
Power Supply - Sparkle/Fortron 550 Watt
Sound Card - X-Fi Fatal1ty / DTS Connect
Audio: Speakers - Harman Kardon HK-254 / L, R Athena AS-B2 / SL, SR Athena AS-B1 / C Athena AS-C1 / Sub Premier Acoustic PA-120 650W
Audio: Cans - Grado SR-225 / Sennheiser HD-580 / PIMETA Amp
Heatware
Strida is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-03, 01:33 AM   #5
CrashOveride

You would want to either use the pins (usualy thats what it is) that came with it or screws (steel or nylon whatever) and plastic spacers so you don't mess up the traces (not necissary but recommended). Just make holes in the HS wherr they need to be or use the ones provided.

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-21-03, 03:34 PM Thread Starter   #6
ToolBox

this is what I got from a friend--is it correct?
Attached Images

Old 12-21-03, 04:52 PM   #7
CrashOveride

Ya... thats fine, I personaly didn't use any springs, washers or wingnuts at all though (I used metal screws and nuts too!)

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool