• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Generic Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I had an idea for a program to make. As you guys probably know by now, I am NOT a coder. I know hardware. Processors mostly.

The idea is to create a program that will allow someone to easily create a text based game without ever using code.

I have many ideas for making this program a success, but have no idea how to make it.

So, which language would be the easiest for something like this?

Should I open my C++ books and learn that just for thehell of it, or would something like VB be better fitting for something like this?

Thanks again guys,

John

Hmm... You want to make a "Adventure Game Creator"? Those have been around for years. I have even seen one on a C64. And you also have the sierra game creator for PC.

If you have no programming exp. then you should go for a basic-clone like VB. However if you have some experience then learn C++...

VB it is.

I didn't know that they exsisted...

But mine will be very simple, yet have good features.

I want it to have a GUI. not text. It just makes a text based game.

I had another idea, actually my dad did, but he wants me to take the credit..lol...A program that you can have running during a text based game that allows you to very easily make maps. It would have some templates, and allow you to easily make rooms different sizes and shapes.

what do you guys think?

Sounds good, although alot of that stuff exists out there in one form or another. Text based gaming was huge before the MMORPG scene hit. MUDs were pretty popular (and in many ways superior to MMORPG games in my opinion). Plenty of tools were created to help make life easier for coding MUDs. Also there were MUD clients that could automatically create maps of the game world as you travelled through it.

My program wouldn't be specific to the game though, it would allow you to easily make a map of anything type of scene, you could even do one of your house easily.

And yes, unfortunately some of this already exsists, but I figured it would be a good thing to keep me busy for a while.

maybe put it on shareware or something and make a few $$ for my time. and first coding experience.

Well any map you make is going to be specific to whatever can read it. If you want your text based game to be able to interpret the map and generate a game world then the game will be specific to the map or the map will be specific to the game.

No, the map software would not be specific to any program, and would be totally independant. The game does not make the map, the user makes the map, its just that the software will be so easy to make simple maps.

Back