• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp issues with pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosted

Registered
Ok, the low down..
I build a water tank/system about 3-4 weeks ago. Parts used...
Pump, Camaro TBI fuel pump (35-39 PSI GPH UNKNOWN)
Radiator, Old oil cooler from one of my parts cars
Fans, 3 120 MM
Res, Custom built by me, around 2 1/2 -3 liter compasity
Swiftech block
Temps before pump burned out... 85-86 F

I just built a second system over the past week/couple days...Parts...
Pump, Hydor 30 series 2?
Same radiator
Same fans
Same water block
Res, another custom, this one a 6"X14" round tank that holds around 5.5 -6 liters
Temps... a rediculous mid 90's F

The only real thing I can think of is that the pressure/flow rate of the pump is TOO high? I am also running straight water currently.

Any Ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it are welcome...

Not certain but I will hazard a guess:

A pump like the fuel pump that you first used will overcome flow restrictions and still pump its rated output of flowrate, whatever it is.

Pumps like the Hydor L30 or any other of the commonly used pc cooling pumps (Eheim, Via, Mag, and so on) may have high flow ratings, but that is for a zero head state- basically, the amount of water they pump measured at the discharge outlet WITH NO TUBING AT ALL.
The minute you add tubing the flow rate drops tremendously- and each block, fitting or bend in the tubes adds still more restriction.

I would say that you are getting a somewhat lower flow rate with the Hydor pump.
But it should last a lot longer than a car's fuel pump as well!

Get rid of the oil cooler in favor of a heater core and i bet you will see better results.

SysCrusher said:
Get rid of the oil cooler in favor of a heater core and i bet you will see better results.
Actually I have a heater core, but nothing big enough fan wise to make any kind of air flow.
And BTW the oil cooler I am using is 9"WX5"TX2"D

As far as the flow, with nothing but the tubing and res hooked up and the tank half full, it will shoot the water all the way across the res and only drop appox 1"

I will hook the res and everything back up and see just how much flow rate goes down...

ok, it still makes it all the way across but falls at the/near the base, so about 3-4"

So the flow should be more then needed....

Back