• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800ED could really use some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Argus

Registered
This is the 4th Asus board I've put together and the 1st 3 (P3Bf,P4B533e,P4PE) went so smooth that I wasn't worried but it's been 8 days now and I still can't get this stable.
1)having to overvolt just to get stable - no OC
2)know that 1 stick memory is weak - will only run at 2.85v, not 2.75v spec, but both will run memtest for 2 hrs no errors. SPD is disabled & set to 3-4-4-8.
3) I'm on my 2nd full install of XP - this time just SP1 & Intel Chipset v5.0.2.1003. Got lock-up running Sandra burn-in & isolated the prblm to the cache/memory test. Test runs lowering VCore to 1.525, but set to Auto locks up 11+ passes (about 40 minutes - temps are under 40degC). Memory bandwidth/Cpu math/Cpu multimedia tests will run with no prblm under any VCore setting. Then manually setting VCore & prblm clears up. When I try to restore a more complete system (Lan/SoundMax/Office) cache/memory again locks until I push VCore to 1.6.
4)Question - any reason not to suspect memory since it won't run at spec under memtest. I'm ready to send it back.
5)Question - can I trust any software installed under this setup or are all my stability prblms related to hardware?
6)Question - any reason to also suspect CPU? I've never had to overvolt for stability w/o OC.
Thanks

I see the signature line doesn't include the setup:
P4C800ED 2.6c TWINX1024-4000 WD (2) on IDE Asus V9950 Antec 430W

disabled legacy USB just to be safe - found that didn't make any difference. Running CPU@manual (to get at DDR Voltage) 200 FSB,DRAM Freq Auto,Hyper enabled,VCore 1.6(too many bad experiences lower),SPD disabled 3-4-4-8. Ran into boot failure at 215 FSB even w 1.65v, reset to 205 (previously cleared 3 hrs Sandra burn-in) loaded Win critical updates & MediaPlayer & ran into lock. I've resigned myself to 200FSB but will do further burn-in test for stability. I can't believe the software can cause my prblm - my thinking is that as more is loaded I'm encountering new memory addresses. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Corsair XMS memory (at the 1G level) to work on this board?

thanks for the USB legacy advice, that cleared up my uncertainty about the memory - runs Memtest fine w spec 2.75v. The only way I can get this system to run is @ 200 Mhz (Manual-no OC), DRAM @ Auto, CPU @ 1.6v (will not post under Auto & crashes any lower), Perf Mode Std, Chipset Acceleration Auto. It almost runs that way, but I'll get a lock-up unpredictably after extended use. Just found HotCPU tester & have gotten 3 lock-ups (8 min/1 hr/37min) with CPU temp at 45C on last lock-up. Intel datasheet shows design limit of 69C. This has been the only consistent way I can get these lockups & I'm about to conclude it's a prblm CPU. I can't find what VCore I'm supposed to have (Intel shows multiple ratings for the 2.6 C), but Sandra shows a 1.55v rating. And I still can't figure why if my SPD is disabled and timings set to 3-4-4-8 both Aida & Sandra show 2.5/3/3/6 ?? I'm closing in on my RMA window so I've got to start shipping something back. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks again.

It honestly sounds like a ram problem. Can you run a higher fsb at 320mhz? Have you updated the bios? Updating the bios solved alot of OC issues for me.

updated the BIOS right at the start of the prblms
have run Memtest (both standard & extended tests) for over 2 hrs with no errors
a higher DRAM freq on this MB is possible only with an OC FSB and this chip will not go there

disabled hyperthread, HotCPU tester runs 2 hours
enabled hyperthread, hard lock in 38 min
I'm treating this as a CPU prblm.
Sure wasted a lot of time going down the memory trail because of that legacy USB setting. If your reading this & aren't aware - Memtest results are not valid with a BIOS setting of legacy USB.

OK, so it's not a CPU prblm. Here's the story:
replaced the CPU, reset BIOS to defaults & this thing ran for 2 days- didn't even bother to test, then it locked up under gaming (Civ3). Now running at the loosest settings possible still getting lock-ups. I don't see how it's a memory prblm - Memtest will run 3 hrs no errors at 2.5/4/4/7. It has never gotten over 45C in intensive testing so it's not a heat prblm. I've got the CPU set on manual, DDR at 400, perf mode std, SPD disabled w timings at 3/4/4/8 & still not stable - it will browse & run Office gets past Sandra mem/CPU tests, but HotCPU test & Civ3 will lock it up! Looking at Sandra I see it reporting the -12volt reading as -14.75 & the -5 as -7.17 (the +5 is 4.97 & +12 is 12,46). Motherboard Monitor won't give a reading on the -12/-5 so I can't confirm these values. Is this normal? I don't see an alternative to RMAing the board.

Asus Probe won't give you volt readings? Sounds like a PSU issue. If you have a voltmeter I'd check the power coming off the PSU. THta could cause lots of issues.

a working knowledge of electricity has always eluded me. Asus Probe only reports a +12/+5/+3.3 & the positive values aren't too far off - it's the negative readings that Sandra reports (& that's a static reading) that is making me wonder. Sandra on a P4B533e board w same model PSU shows as little deviation on the negative readings as the positive. How could a PSU be bad only on the negative side - and is this always a sign of a bad PSU or could the MB be the culprit?

have been backtracking. I consider stress tests over 3 hrs a success. Memtest (extended) 3 hrs no errors. Heat not an issue. Think I'm running 1014 BIOS - flashed w included aufdos, BIOS sys info shows ID P4CEDO96, build 11/21/03,ver 8.00.09. I use HotCPU as stability predictor. The only way I can get past that program is to - - - DISABLE ALL ONBOARD DEVICES . I'm running the loosest timings possible 3-4-4-8. I disabled Sound/RAID/Midi and both sticks individually will run for 3 hrs, but together they will lock after 1 hr (together they will pass Memtest 3 hrs). I disable Lan/1394/Sound/Raid/Midi & together they pass. I've already RMAd the CPU thinking it was the prblm, but that was before I started disabling those devices. Am I missing something to think I need to throw in the towel with this board? Thanks.

have been backtracking. I consider stress tests over 3 hrs a success. Memtest (extended) 3 hrs no errors. Heat not an issue. Think I'm running 1014 BIOS - flashed w included aufdos, BIOS sys info shows ID P4CEDO96, build 11/21/03,ver 8.00.09. I use HotCPU as stability predictor. The only way I can get past that program is to - - - DISABLE ALL ONBOARD DEVICES . I'm running the loosest timings possible 3-4-4-8. I disabled Sound/RAID/Midi and both sticks individually will run for 3 hrs, but together they will lock after 1 hr (together they will pass Memtest 3 hrs). I disable Lan/1394/Sound/Raid/Midi & together they pass. I've already RMAd the CPU thinking it was the prblm, but that was before I started disabling those devices. Am I missing something to think I need to throw in the towel with this board? Thanks.

Hi Argus, sorry to hear all the problems your having.:( You should look for further answers (esp.about the psu voltages)over in the psu section, Also as you may have alrady done, take a look over at abxzone for help.. Good luck:)

As far as memtest and the dual channel application I have the same problem. My rig has never passed memtest with both sticks in. Each indiviually will pass and run for hours, but why the dual channel config refuses to work eludes me. I pass all stress tests, prime95, etc., so i just resolved myself to it and pressed on. If you find a cause and effect please let me know.

Update on my prblms-
I added on old Soundblaster card, enabled LAN, did a fresh re-install using Mr Steveo approach (found on ABXZone) & still got lock-ups about 2 hrs into stress testing (HotCPU lite). BUT - if I disable hyperthread it's as stable as can be. I interpret the added PCI card+stable to mean there are NO power issues. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong - I'm electrically illiterate. Also can someone confirm that BIOS ID a few posts back w the 1014 version? My suspicions are beginning to center on this board.:bang head

I'm electrically illiterate.

You might benefit from picking up a copy of A+ Certification for Dummies. I'll admit, most of the book was, in my mind, simple crap, but there was some good stuff in there. The section on how to use a multimeter to check voltages and ohms was all new to me. If you get it off Amazon, used, you should be able to get it under $10 after shipping.

i duno if i may be helpful or not

but i kinda have the exact same hardware as you..

as i install more stuffs, my computer feels slower..is this perfectly normal?

and i click on display properties.. it takes 2-3 seconds to pop-up..why is this?

MB issue, rma the board.
Its definitely the problem.
SOmething is not right.
Bad ram slots could be possible.

Back