• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for guys with a Mobile P4 in a desktop board and P4s minus the IHS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shade00

Hey guys, I just got a Mobile Celeron 1.6 to play around with. It's a C1 stepping and has 256k L2 cache. That being said, I want to start messing with it, but I put my cheapo Coolermaster heatsink on and it doesn't quite make contact with the core. What heatsink do you guys use? I spent $5 to get an Intel retail heatsink off Newegg's refurb section, and it should be here in the next day or so.

The Coolermaster HS is propped up on the 4 inside corners of the mounting bracket - does the Intel HS do that? I really want to play around with this chip.

i have a P4 1.8 mobile running rock stable at 3.0 ghz (12x250fsb)..im using intel stock HSF..temp at full load doesnt go beyond 40C..it runs cooler than my 2.4c...maybe it has something to do with the absence of IHS in mobile chips..

That's good news. I'm expecting to hit 3ghz with this chip - it's going in as my new secondary rig. I'm just a little disappointed that I can't mess with it right now because of that heatsink.

So the Intel HS doesn't prop itself up on the four white pin tops in the inside corners of the bracket?

No the Intel HSF has notches down the side that allow the center to sit lower and not hang on the mounting pins.

intel heatsink is good...

instead ot the intel cooler you can use any other heatsink by placing a 1-1,5 mm thin plate of copper between the IHS and the heatsink.

I did so with my Arctic Cooling...

copper plate is from a Thermalright SK6...

Today a brand new Thermalright AX-478 arrived (only 10 € @ebaY including shipping) to provide better cooling (now 55 degrees celcius).

Most mobile celeron will hit >3000 Mhz !

Don't be afraid of rather high vcore (>1,65V) !

they can deal with it !

Got one hear too, 2.2m but only at 195FSB just under 2.4 as its on an old i845e board, it would hit over 3ghz on P4C-800E though :)
I suggest other heatsinks that the stock one may not make die contact, I tried coolermaster heatpipe and a few others with no joy...

just got a new Thermalright AX-478 heatsink:

fits perfectly on my mobile, best contact to DIE without any modification !

Back