• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redundant PSU connections don't match...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludivous_Kain

I'm building a MP Intel Xeon server, and for some reason, the redundant PSU has different power connections than the new Intel mobo. Its the Intel Server Board SE7505VB2, and my problem isn't with the ATX plug, its with the 12v and AUX plugs. This 400x400 watt rPSU has a normal 4-pin 12v CPU core voltage, but the board has an 8-pin one. Also, the 5-pin AUX connector is much smaller than the plug on the rPSU. Any ideas? I can post pics if they'll help.

That motherboard is an EPS12v, and your PSU is an atx psu. I have seen people posting links to adapters, although thats usually to run an eps12v psu on an atx motherboard, not vise-versa.

There is no ATX12V to EPS12V adapter. The extra pins are for better power distrabution to avoid things like the tyan boards and their habbit of melting the connectors of the PSU and motherboard. They also provide better grounding. While you could just stick the PSU in the connector and ignore the extra pins I would not advise it. Your best bet is to return the PSU if you bought it and buy a EPS12V PSU.

Yeah. I sent a request to Intel about the issue, and they told me a similar thing. They said that the other 4 pins of the 12v plug were indeed for extra power when dual procs are used. Since the server only has one 2.4ghz Xeon, Intel assured me that if anything goes wrong with the board OR the PSU, they will consider it a bad board, and replace the damaged components. Hearing that from an international conglomerate took me off guard, but it was from a rep, and I saved/printed the email.

If the second problem is unable to be properly solved, I guess I'll have no choice but to replace the PSU (OUCH!). The AUX conector is the wrong size, too. I checked the power ratings/timings of the server board, and they match up with the PSU, but they won't fit... You don't happen to know of an adapter I can get instead? The PSU came with the server chassie, so it'll end up being yet another expense I'll have to absorb...

*EDIT*
If I do have to replace the PSU, can you suggest a redundant power supply that DOES have the EPS12V line, and the AUX plug?
(If you don't know what the AUX plug on this server mobo looks like, there's a pic on Intel's website)

Last edited:
You can always put the PSU up for sale in your area or here and recoop a bit of your money. Or you can do with the aux plug what you would with the other, ignore the extra socket holes for the pins you don't have. Its the same situation for both plugs.

Yeah. Before I go to either extreme of selling this one and buying a new one, or powering it on without connecting the AUX plug (which the mobo layout says is required only if using a redundant power supply), I'm going to bring the rPSU and some high-def pics of the two plugs on the mobo to the comp shot I purchased them from, and see if they sell an adapter for the AUX one.

The rPSU has the same AUX connector as every other ATX PSU I've seen. But, the mobo's AUX plug looks almost like a CD-Audio cable, only a bit larger. Go fig. With any luck, I may not even need to connect the AUX cable, even though it is a redundant PSU. *shrugs*

And, if I do need to replace it, I'll definitely look into the Fortron mentioned here. Technically, they don't NEED a redundant power supply if they use a good battery backup..

No I didn't say don't use the aux plug I said plug in the aux plug like the main plug by ignoring the extra plugs pins and plugging it in. It will work, but I wouldn't trust it for heavy lifting. You NEED to plug in the Aux plug, its not an option. It is just a another path to feed the power to the board without melting the main plug with all the power going through it.

Back