• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn intel chipset hold downs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. $T$

Good thing I was standing next to my computer when the stupid HB chipset heatsink took a dive on my video card, one of those stupid loop metal things got ripped out by the stock IS7 HB heatsink. Nothing was hurt except my confidence in this flawed design.

Has anybody else have this happen to them?

Mine have been fine despite tha awesome amount of abuse I give them, but mine's a Gigabyte mobo.

Well I bent the hooks to grab the other loops, dang and they want me to trust a heavy water block with this?!? I am just glad nothing got shorted when the heatsink landed metal side on the back of my GPU :rolleyes:

my Abit BH-7 did this on the northbridge it snapped off - i just put it back in and bend the pins and resoldered.

Mr.Guvernment said:
my Abit BH-7 did this on the northbridge it snapped off - i just put it back in and bend the pins and resoldered.

I was thinking about a long paperclip that would be bent when it reached through the mobo then soldered into place. It would be more secure that way.

Mr. $T$ said:
Good thing I was standing next to my computer when the stupid HB chipset heatsink took a dive on my video card, one of those stupid loop metal things got ripped out by the stock IS7 HB heatsink. Nothing was hurt except my confidence in this flawed design.

Has anybody else have this happen to them?

This happened to me with two Abit boards and Abit quality control is terrible with these northbridge loop issues, I damaged a 9800, but had it repaired. Abit to their credit offered to replace the 9800 with a 5900, but I didnt want a 5900. It was kind of comical as I was doing a IC7 and IC7-G review when all this occured

Anyway I switched to Asus in disgust, and the Asus board much to my chagrin is a better board. Just a note, you can take a soldering iron and add a tiny bead to each of the Northbridge loops 'legs' on the back side of the board to assure it never happens again,(this is optional-> then place a tiny drop of Liquid electrical tape over the solder.

Liquid electrical tape? cool where can I get this?

Geez I guess that this is an abit problem then :rolleyes: If I put some serious type of cooling on the NB then I will be sure to do some extra soldering for security.

Hm, not sure if this belongs in mobos or cooling...but not here.

Mr. $T$ said:
Liquid electrical tape? cool where can I get this?

Geez I guess that this is an abit problem then :rolleyes: If I put some serious type of cooling on the NB then I will be sure to do some extra soldering for security.

Most hardware stores sell a can for about $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back