• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescotts will be sweet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

This is not based on any factual information but after reading the forums, I noticed that nobody seems to be too impressed with the new prescotts because of the few reviews there are about them. People are pre-judging these CPU's.

Basically this just reminds me of last year when the "T-Breds" were coming out to replace the "Palamino's" People were getting less than satisfactory OC's with them and were bashing the performance of the T-breds. Then along came the newly revised "T-Bred B's" and the DLT3C's, 1 GHz OC's on air? Now what do you have to say?

I have a strong feeling this will happen with the Prescotts, so I am really looking forward to them.

Discuss.

I never trust hardware reviews about unreleased products. Just wait until the Precotts mature, I'm sure they'll hit 4.5 GHz on air by the end of next year (2004) with a good stepping.

the problem with prescott is that we will initially have barely overclockable 'palominos' due to the heat problems. perhaps once they get a core revision to 'tbred a/b'-like proportions they will turn into a good chip for overclockers.

i certainly don't expect much from them. i would love to be pleasantly surprised however :D

another problem with your setup is that Tejas is coming up very soon which will replace the prescott line completely. Palomino and Tbred shared many things and thus it was basically just a revision. Tejas afaik is somewhat different than prescott... still based on the Net Burst architecture like P4 but more different than Palomino -> Tbred.

The heats the problem!!! If they take care of that then MAYBE.........

I'm sure they will. Look at the MO's for example, compared to the D1's - They run atleast 3-4 degrees cooler from my experience.

Intel knows how to take care of things :cool:

People keep looking at the Prescott in terms of max overclock potential and are worried about the heat. There is more to look at than just how much it'll overclock. The Prescott will have new instructions in the form of SSE3 and will have L3 cache. So what if they are a little warmer than the Northwoods, I learned long time ago to deal with cooling when overclocking. People are forgetting that when the Northwood was first released, we were happy to get a 2.4 to 2.5 gig overclock. Now we're getting 3.4 to 3.5 gig overclocks. Will the first Prescotts knock our socks off with impressive overclocks? Maybe, but probably not... at least not at first. Will they offer more performance? Most likely. I'm going to give the Prescott a try... if it sucks, then it's my loss and your gain.

Last edited:
Still with a the Tejas coming out that fast after the prescott I myself am probably going to skip the prescott generation. I especially like the fact that they will be pinless and have 775 contacts. :D

Nightingale said:
Still with a the Tejas coming out that fast after the prescott I myself am probably going to skip the prescott generation. I especially like the fact that they will be pinless and have 775 contacts. :D

Pinless? How does that work? :eek:

From the looks of it there are just contacts that it matches up with and then a top plate is put over the chip and then theres a clamping mechanism to hold it all together.

AudiMan said:

Pinless? How does that work? :eek:
instead of long pins they are trimmed and pressed into balls which make the contact with the socket. quite a bit better way to do it, actually.

Maxvla said:

instead of long pins they are trimmed and pressed into balls which make the contact with the socket. quite a bit better way to do it, actually.

Yes, I've bent my share of CPU pins.

Really in the long run its cheaper for intel to make these chips due to less material use I would think.

well I read that engineering samples of both the Tejas chip and the grantdale chipset were supposed to have been sent out to manufactuer's. We should see boards by early 3rd quarter 04

batboy said:
People keep looking at the Prescott in terms of max overclock potential and are worried about the heat. There is more to look at than just how much it'll overclock. The Prescott will have new instructions in the form of SSE3 and will have L3 cache. So what if they are a little warmer than the Northwoods, I learned long time ago to deal with cooling when overclocking. People are forgetting that when the Northwood was first released, we were happy to get a 2.4 to 2.5 gig overclock. Now we're getting 3.4 to 3.5 gig overclocks. Will the first Prescotts knock our socks off with impressive overclocks? Maybe, but probably not... at least not at first. Will they offer more performance? Most likely. I'm going to give the Prescott a try... if it sucks, then it's my loss and your gain.

I agree with most of what you said, but I wanted to stress the context of this Prescott introduction. The thing is that CPU speeds have been fairly stagnant lately. One can argue that some new beneficial things have come to the market, like HT, faster FSB and special L3 cache versions, but the overall performance increase from all those combined does not match the increases we've seen in the past over a similar time period.
Now, the Prescott brings some new things, which should help out a bit and form a decent step forwards (indeed probably enough to buy it) but all in all the package in not royal. Frequency increases are projected to top out at about 4Ghz... that's 800Mhz over current top speed and a percentual increase of only 25%. It gets worse. New instructions, in addition to the already quite large set of existing specific instructions, can be nice, but they have 1 thing in common: they need software optimized to use them effectively. This takes time... with bad luck enough time to have rendered the CPU 'obsolete' even before it could get a real edge with the instruction set. Lastly there is the extra cache. That's nice, but hardly stunning. Compared to regular P4's it's a good thing, of course. On the other hand, however, we've seen the EE's with double the extra cache that the Prescotts will offer and that performance is here already.

All in all I think it's no wonder that people feel apprehensive about this new product. The overclockability factor could sway the balance either way, so this is something that people justly watch IMO.

Fizz, you do make some valid points about the Prescott.

Amino, I'd like more info about upcoming chipsets too.

i think the prescott-celi with 256kb should be alot better as the northy-celi with 128kb.
fsb533, multi not to high...
i have here running two c4m's with 256kb too and its great.
im currently making a review c4m vs. p4m for true comparison.

Back