• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7, no post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

It won't post and it hangs on post code AF...which is not in the manual, anyone able to help me out? I've tried a known working AGP card, and known good PCI card

What kind of memory are you running, and have you tried running it with just one stick, then try that one stick in each slot...

Heh, just tried that and it works.

I'm using TwinMOS PC3700 2x256
it will not work in DC, but if there in non DC dimm slots they'll both work at the same time.....very very dissapointing. I think I will try to sell off the mobo/cpu/water block

have you updated your bios yet?

the reason im asking is because today i updated my bios, and i have a 36 gig raptor hooked up to SATA 1, and i also have an 80 gig WDSE hooked up to a PATA port, ( my 80 gig is from my old rig, everythign including OS is still on it )and when i tried booting from my 36gig raptor with both drives hooked up and with the new bios, it would stop right before it would go into the windows loading screen.

maybe out of pure luck this is your problem too, so just go back to the old bios like i did.

raven

ajrettke said:
Heh, just tried that and it works.

I'm using TwinMOS PC3700 2x256
it will not work in DC, but if there in non DC dimm slots they'll both work at the same time.....very very dissapointing. I think I will try to sell off the mobo/cpu/water block

Before you sell, try booting in single channel mode, up the Vdimm in the BIOS, shut down and try dual channel mode....I read that the AI7 sets the stock Vdimm at 2.5V, and most newer faster ram needs at least 2.6V and higher....hell, I would set it at 2.8V and start from there....

Well, my cousin's RMA'd AI7 just came in, and it has the same problem....code AF, and hangs....he is using Mushkin Level II....I just hope he can get his hands on some other RAM so he can boot his board...

Anyone live in Harrisburg PA willing to lend him a stick for a few minutes....;)

Rocinante, when i got my AI7 and musklin (same as yours) i put the ram in etc etc fired it up beeeeeeeep.....beeeeeeeeeeep. do you get that? i found the musklin ram doesnt go in the dimm slot that well.

Yeah, same thing.....beeps and no post....the ram is a little tight, but fits ok...

If you put just one stick in slot 2, we found you can get the AF code on the board....but either way, you can't get into the BIOS unless you put a differant stick of DDR in it. Perferably one that doesn't have low timings....once we got a stick of regular PC2100, we were able to get into the BIOS, raise the Vdimm, and set the timmings manually....everything is up and running now...

What's with AI7 and mushkin lev 2 blacks?
I ordered this combo, installed and had bios problems too. Damnit. Between the AI7 and my mushkins, I kept my mushkins! I guess I'll get the PC800E-D. I read that they run well with Mushkins.

twil said:
What's with AI7 and mushkin lev 2 blacks?
I ordered this combo, installed and had bios problems too. Damnit. Between the AI7 and my mushkins, I kept my mushkins! I guess I'll get the PC800E-D. I read that they run well with Mushkins.

They set the defualt Vdimm at 2.5, and most low latency BH5 ram needs 2.6+ so you get a no post situation....we fixed ours with a stick of cheap PC2100 to get to the bios to up the voltage...

The P4C800 boards are the 875 chipset, so it should run very well with that ram...

mushkin lvl II's dont like the stock voltage fed by the AI7. Had the same problem with mine and had to bump it up.

I haven't had any problems with my AI7 & Mushkin Black lvl II. I agree that this is a problem, but it can be fixed with something as easy as a BIOS revision.

Once we got the board to post, we haven't had any problems either....it's a fast combo, but if it won't post....your S.O.L.

On another note, someone said that their AI7 and Mushkin was fine with BIOS 12, but anything higher, and it wouldn't post, so your right, all it would take is a BIOS revision with a slight bump in default Vdimm...

for what it's worth I too have the 'AF' post error with Muskin level ll. If I use only one stick I can get past the 'AF' error but it hangs at 05, will get some generic ram to try tomorrow.

Update..corsairs PC2700 booted right up..so it is ram related. Installing software now, will increase voltage and try my Level II stuff again.

Latest..took 2.8v to get the Level II to boot..nothing less would boot.

Last edited:
Figured something out today after I reset my BIOS.. the only way I was able to get back into it (Cause it wouldnt post, just goto the Bioslock) was to hold F1 and hitting delete continuously after powering on. Hope this helps.

reverse said:
Figured something out today after I reset my BIOS.. the only way I was able to get back into it (Cause it wouldnt post, just goto the Bioslock) was to hold F1 and hitting delete continuously after powering on. Hope this helps.

Interesting...where did you learn of this feature???

When do you start hitting F1??? When you first turn on the machine???

Back