• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

diode temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattmolson

can anyone tell me where the diode temps are read from?have 2500 barton on asus a7n8x rev.2.have huge discrepancy between diode and socket while using prime 95.
thanks

Believe the diode, not the socket thermistor. Even the best implemented socket thermistor and the NF7-S has such a one, does not give nearly as accurate an indication of the core temperature as the CPUs internal thermal diode since it is inside the CPU itself.

Hoot

thank you hoot
now it's clear i bought the wrong hsf for me(zalman 7000) i knew the zalman was aimed at the low noise sector but thought it might be adequate at least.i couldn't find a thermalright around here and didn't want to wait for an online order.guess i'll have to go that route now.

Where air cooling is used, quiet and effective are almost oxymorons. Before you dump the Zalman, try a more powerful fan.

Hoot

ok thanks hoot
i'll look around and see if i can find something powerful to put in there after xmas.clocker posted a link to a pic of someone's zalman fan swap.sounds like a plan if i can find appropriate fan.

I have a question regarding this topic: is it normal that the temperature on the diode is lower than the temp of the socket?
The case temperature is lower than both (about 5-7 degrees).
I am thinking that maybe that thermistor is close to something hot. Is there a way to find the placement of the thermistor?
Thanks

in my limited experience i have found that diode temps are often lower than socket but only at idle.under load they almost always higher than socket and tend to fluctuate more quickly than socket temps.case temps should always be lower than both.perhaps someone with more knowledge than i can help explain.
btw, merry christmas!

That's true 100%. Maybe it's because the socket doesn't disipate heat as quickly. It would really help if I knew where the thermistor is usually placed
Merry Xmas to you too:)

Back