• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800ED SATA RAID, Promise or Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confused

Just got my IDE => SATA adapters, now the question is which Serial RAID setup to use, anyone have some experience with both and which is the better one to use

thanks in advance
confused

The Intel RAID chipset does not run on the PCI Bus and therefore would help minimize PCI congestion. A lot of people set up a RAID 0 (like 2 WD Raptors) on the Intel chipset.

ricksimm said:
The Intel RAID chipset does not run on the PCI Bus and therefore would help minimize PCI congestion. A lot of people set up a RAID 0 (like 2 WD Raptors) on the Intel chipset.

This is the set-up I am currently running. I have used the promise controller in the past as well. I cannot see any real difference. I will admit however that the machine as a whole seems to run better.

Currently my stripe size is 64k ans cluster size is 16k. I will try and tweak the cluster size and post the results.

Attachments

• atto1.jpg
    atto1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 64
I vote for the Intel ICH5R. I'm using 32K stripe and 16K cluster.

Here is my results with 2 Maxtor 120G SATA drives (pic is 16K/8k):

Attachments

• sata_atto_16k-8k_c-part.gif
    sata_atto_16k-8k_c-part.gif
    79.6 KB · Views: 71
I was all excited about getting my RAID on the Intel setup and found through trouble shooting that one of my IDE to SATA converters was bad (bummer) so now I have to RMA it and find out if I can get a replacement.

Thanks for all the help fellow members

confused, and irritated.

Back