• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Codec Help playing Videos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok I am a car guy. So where is the best place to find big car videos and I am not talking about the short 2meg burnout clip of your buddy in his 69 Firebird. Kazza or however you spell that.

I have came accross a few large videos that I just cant get to play on my computer. They have an AVI extenstion on them and they do open up windows media player 9 but I get no sound or video. It says they are playing but nothing is happening. I tried them in the latest divx player and still the same result. I think it has something to do with the "other extenstions" in the tag line for the video. stuff like svcd.avi I thought ok maybe this is some sort of svcd and I need to rip it to CD and that did not work. I tried using Neuro to rip it and that did not work either. Does anyone have any suggestions.

A properties search on the file should reveal the video and audio codec. Afterwards, it's just a matter of obtaining the right codec. Could be something widely used (like xvid or divx), or something bizarely obscure (like Cinepak).

Also try a diffrent player. WMP9 isn't the all-mighty end-all to every media player on the planet like most people make it out to be.

Look for "nimo codec pack" it come with most of the codecs around: Divx 3.1, Divx5, Xvid, plus many audio codecs too

Well I tried the codec-download link first and grabbed a few from there and it did not help, so I am trying the nimo one now. Jesh after I get done with all these codec downloads, I should be able to play anything on earth.

Capt Fiero said:
Well I tried the codec-download link first and grabbed a few from there and it did not help, so I am trying the nimo one now. Jesh after I get done with all these codec downloads, I should be able to play anything on earth.

Nimo is one of the more complete codec pack I've seen, also search for a player named "media player classic" it looks like the clasic media player (duh) but have a lot of new features... I dont remember where I downloaded it, but the file name is "mpc2kxp6452", in some aspects its better tha the wmp9.

Dont forget to post if it worked.

Merry X-mas

Kintaro Oe

hey, use this program

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

its called "G-spot" (i have no idea why they named it that :rolleyes: ). its great, all you have to do is drag the file on top of the gspot.exe and it tells you exactly what codecs it uses and tells you if you have them installed or not. If not, then simply do a search on the codec indicated by g-spot, download it, and you're done :D

its a really great program and if you play a lot of media (like me) then its a really handy program.

Hope it helps!

-Darth

That is a wicked cool app. Now I can find out what codec the Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade dvdrip is encoded with. Every time I play it, it's got no audio.

Well I think I have every codec or a player that will play almost every codec known to man. I tried your program out and guess what. The files are garbage. We had our Boxing Day Dinner at the house tonight so I had a few tech friends over a few of them have more experiece with media files. They checked the files for size, bitrate, and all the other media info they could. They said that they were blank media files. They have no idea how they could have gotten like that, it could have been someone doing it intentionally just to be a prick or the files could have been damaged. But none the less it has been a good lesson in codecs.

Back