• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

same but differnt ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The price:)

But seriosuly I think the more expensive one can handle faster speeds better. Go to Kingstons site and type in the part number b/c they are both different.

The first link with model number "KHX3200AK2/512" does not have the BH-5 chips.

The second link with the "KHX3200K2/512" model number has the BH-5 chips. So basically the $4 difference is WAY worth it.

Edit: Nice find btw - I'm interested now :)

Well I personally prefer Corsair, but those Kingstons are their cream of the crop being compared to Corsairs medium-line. Corsair's 3200LL modules would be better to compare to the "A" version of Kingston as they both have CH-5s and the Corsair 3500C2 and the non-"A" Kingston as they have BH-5.

I am not sure about the the kingston's being BH-5, however...some research is in order ;)

Corsairs Versions 1.1 have the BH-5's, but Versions 1.2 don't.

Take the Kingstons, I think Corsair ran out of BH-5's a while ago.

Grandpa Dan said:
OCZ and mushkin are the only ones that have guaranteed stock of bh-5 and ocz is almost out. All of the others bh-5 is in the market, so it might be or it might not. Trust me on this one.

So even if the Kingstons are labelled without the "A" there is a chance that they're not BH-5's?

I haven't seen anything from them that says it's bh-5 one way or the other. look at these, bh-5? http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/thelines/default.asp?type=specs

This from their website:

MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode.
All modules must be identical for Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode.
Kingston offers "K2" kit part numbers for Dual Channel mode.

When running at 800MHz FSB, DDR333 will clock at 320MHz only.

KVR400X64C3 parts have 3-4-4 timings. KVR400X64C3A parts have 3-3-3 timings.
Systems shipped with 800MHz FSB processors should use DDR400 (KVR400X64C3 and KVR400X64C3A) parts.
Systems shipped with 533MHz FSB processors should use DDR333 (KVR333X64C25) parts.

Note the timings

Last edited:
The first memory M#"KHX3200AK2/512, note the "A" has listed timings of 2-3-2-6-1T. the other M#KHX3200K2/512 Non a, has listed timings of 2-2-2-6 1T. as listed on newegg and the Kingston website. I called kingston yesterday and the customer rep I spoke with said that there was no way to tell if you got bh-5 chips or not until you buy them and take off the heat spreader. I spoke with a tech guy too. They also don't sell the non 'A" without a heatspreader. I then called Mushkin and they told me that all Levl 2 memory had bh-5 guaranteed. She also said that Mushkin will proly change the name when they run out of bh-5 chips. Like instead of calling it black Lvl II, they would call it LvL 3 or something. I also learned that there is no such thing as PC3500. Its just PC3200 guaranteed to run at that speed and at 433 FSB. So I whipped out my credit card and bough a matched pair of Mushkin PC3500 DDR433 512 sticks. I'll let you know how they work. In the end i feel you get what you pay for.

Grandpa, I don't understand some stuff in your sig, 5:4, 475/340?mam/turbo enabled. Do you like the memory??

Hookj5 said:
Grandpa, I don't understand some stuff in your sig, 5:4, 475/340?mam/turbo enabled. Do you like the memory??

5:4 is the divider

475/340 references the 9600 pro oc

MAM is enabled
Turbo is enabled

Right now with the 5:4 my memory is running at 237 fsb 2-2-2-6

Yes I like the memory just fine thanks.

FWIW I've tried hyper-x pc3200 and 3500 in this rig... It's the most overrated POS excuse for ram. If only there were truth in advertising laws. If you run pc3500 at it's rated speed you are overclocking something which voids it's warranty. Now you have a defect which means it's not their fault it won't run at the rated speed. You follow?

So they might trade it out but you're still stuck with the crap.

Last edited:
Back