• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flexible Metal Tubes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

are there such things as like, flexible aluminum tubing that can be used for watercooling, and, think that that would help lower temps by using the tubes like an auxillary radiator?

My water heater has flexible copper tubing that connects the heater to the feed pipes. I can't remember seeing anything aluminum like this, but copper would probably work just as well. Any plumbing supply would have this, although it may only be available in discrete lengths and not in bulk. You would also likely have to deal with cutting the fittings off of the ends and adding your own.

Yeah, fittings would be a problem, as would length. You could look around at www.mcmaster.com or Home Depot type places. I'd use copper if you can - you could get some nasty corrosion issues if you use aluminum.

Aluminum tubing is expensive and there would be corrosion issues unless your block and rad are aluminum.

Copper is relatively cheap (compared to aluminum tube!) and common, and solder or compression fittings are common.

It is difficult to work with however, and produces no measurable secondary cooling effect given the common pumps used in computers.
(To get enough secondary cooling surface to notice would require so much additional tubing length that the benefit is lost due to the extra length of the tube adding flow restriction.)
I did a system with copper tube. :)

Looks cool though!

Back