• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SUcky P4 3.06

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlingXShot

System: Swiftech Water cooled H20 Case

I dunno, the limitation is 3495Mhz @ 1.7V , I haven't tried lower voltage. Its stable and I am happy at 1.7V

Its ridicilous, I increased by 1Mhz FSB, locks, etc.

Here are the temps:

Idle: MotherBoard 26C / CPU 33/34C
Full: 6min Burn 50C

I noticed the CPU freezes at temps about 43-44C when I do intensive burn in tests. So I am guessing even if I get Artic Silver 5, I have 3 now, and get 2-3C lower, will I be able to get anything out of it.

CPU crappy CPU, prob because it was OEM.

Surfeit00 said:
Those chips were never great ocers.

Get a 3.0 if you want good ocs:D

I have a 533 bus board, Rambus. P4T533.

I did not want to get a new mobo/memory/cpu because that would be waste of money since LGA processors are not far away. and not even one mobo today is compatible with the LGA CPus.

You might not want to run that puppy too much at 1.7v, That is if you don't want it to suffer SNDS. I will not go above 1.675 personally I have mine at 1.55 and it runs nice and cool.

Your the first person to spot that :p I was seeing how long it could go :D

it really is only 3GHz :)

Load temp is a tad high. My P4T533 reads a lot lower- my full load temperature is in the mid-thirties.

You also might want to take a look at northbridge cooling. Better thermal paste can shave off a degree or two there. I did this with the sink-only version that I have. I just got a Zalman sink for kicks... at only 9 euro's it may improve it a bit more. In any case, the stock sink should be fine too, it's not much smaller than the fancy Zalman.

Of course, to check the CPU without the RAM stopping you first, you should set it at 3x and Turbo off. Furthermore, make sure you've tried the default voltages to the core first. I noticed that the board has a tendency to weaken if you increase the core voltage. This would result in less stability with higher VCore. Good luck.

Mr. $T$ said:
You might not want to run that puppy too much at 1.7v, That is if you don't want it to suffer SNDS. I will not go above 1.675 personally I have mine at 1.55 and it runs nice and cool.

Already did that to my P4 2.26 :p , used to run at 2.974 now has to run at 2.7

ran it 1.775V in the bios, asus probe reported it running at 1.85v and IDLE and my current the one I am running I set to 1.7V running in Asus Probe 1.75V at idle, funny thing the P4 2.26 at FULL would run like 1.72V thats a big difference. Stupid Asus.

Oh well. At least Asus did me one favor, lower the voltage at higher temps.

Do you have the version board with the fan on the northbridge heatsink or the passive heatsink....I had one with the passive, and it was a POS!!!! not stable at any speed with a power hungry CPU....I RMA'd it to Asus, and got the new version which has a modified power circuit with extra surface mount caps on the back side of the board...very stable and fast....

You may just be hitting the limit of the CPU though....I would run it as fast as you can in 4x mode with Turbo on...you will be hurting performance running 3x unless you can get your clocks up a lot higher...

Rocinante said:
Do you have the version board with the fan on the northbridge heatsink or the passive heatsink....I had one with the passive, and it was a POS!!!! not stable at any speed with a power hungry CPU....I RMA'd it to Asus, and got the new version which has a modified power circuit with extra surface mount caps on the back side of the board...very stable and fast....

You may just be hitting the limit of the CPU though....I would run it as fast as you can in 4x mode with Turbo on...you will be hurting performance running 3x unless you can get your clocks up a lot higher...

Like you said- if he had a POS board, it would have been unstable before, not only when reaching that ~3500 overclock.

The passive sink is not the indicator of a good or poor P4T533; the version number is. 27xxx is bad, 2Axxx and above are better.

Rocinante said:
Good point... :cool:

Did you ever see the thread at the HardForums about this board...It was a monster... :eek:

Yeah, I did. It was filled with panic 'non-methodic first try' posts though. Also some voodoo remedies etc. But something was amiss and Asus never admitted it, silently soldering up the faulty design instead. That did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

The funny thing is it would run my 1.6A at 150 4X turbo no problems, but would never get it any higher, even at 3X non-turbo....but my IT7 ran it over 162fbs so I knew it wasn't the chip...when Asus started shipping the good board, and people where having there stability problems solved, I applied for an RMA stating the board was unstable with a 3.06, and they gave me one no questions asked...I mean, usually when I've gotten RMA's, they ask you is the CPU good in another board, the same for the memory, and so on...no this time...reply email was the RMA # and instrutions.....They know they have a problem, but I guess it's cheaper to keep their mouths shut...:rolleyes:

Back