• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something I'll never understand about 3dmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
His FSB is 200 and yours is 175. I'm sure there are other things also. 3dmark03 is pretty much all videocard and his is clocked higher than yours. Also make sure you have everything disabled in the OPENGL tab.

is it opengl? I thought it was d3d, oops. I'll turn all that down and see if it helps. Also his cpu is only 20 mhz faster, and his vid card 40mhz, not a significant increase at all imo.

3dmark is direct3d. It has to be..... If it isnt, then my radeon 8500 was getting 12000 3dmarks with 4x AA and 16x AF with highest quality settings.

He is also using an Nforce2 based board, probably in dual channel for the ram, something your KT400 does not have, this with his slightly higher FSB is probably what is killing you.

Edit... just noticed the other guy is packing a gig of ram as well, so not really the best two scores to compare.

why do the 9600 series cards have higher core clocks then my 9800 but i spank them? is it a different rating system like amd/pentium type of deal?

shortbus: the 9800 has a 256bit RAM interface, the 9600s (and everything else except the 5900 series and older cards) have 128bit. This allows the 9800/9700 and 5900series to perform (much) better with lower clocks. Nevertheless, the 9600xts clock speed is really a feat of technology, it blows away just about everything in it's price range. Unfortunately, the RAM isn't top-of-the-line, and this brings performance down.

Anyway, Im pretty sure 3dmark is direct 3d because it says "d3d" on the loading screens...

Also I completely overlooked his 1 gig of dual channel ram. Im sure this is the difference in the performance, not anything my card is doing. Thanks for pointing this out, I feel much better now :)

that doesnt make much since. so what your saying is that the 9600 has a better gpu, but it has shanty ram that kills the performance and the 9800 has a good but not as good gpu and really good ram so its better? why not just put them both on the same card? or is that the 9800t?

shortbus_ What brings the 9600XT/Pros down is their memory interface: Here's the deal: 9700/Pro + 9800/Pro/XT (not SE) have 8 memory pipelines and a 256bit memory bus. 9600Pros have 4 memory pipelines and a 128bit memory bus. No amount of memory speed in the world on the part of an 9600XT/Pro can overcome this limitation. Even though it's an FX card, the FX5700U features only 4 memory piples, but with *blazingly* fast memory. It gets beaten by the 5900, which has slower memory, but all pipelines. Same thing for the 9700+ cards. The 9600XT comes close to beating the 9700 in some cases, but it just can't compete.

Hope this helps!

it's the cpu tests guys. look at all the cpu-influenced tests - wings of fury, cpu test 1 & 2, they are all much better on 4270-scoring run.

Now look at the test that don't factor in the cpu - fill-rate, vertex and pixel shaders, GT2, Gt3 and GT4 - they are all within 1fps on each run.

His fsb,ram,cpu clock and motherboard are all superior to yours spacewilly

Back