• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which zalman hsf better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

I was just browsing some stores on zalman hsf's (the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu in particluar) and i notcied that the one with copper and aluminum one was more expensive than just the copper in some noname stores. Why is that? Shouldn't all copper be better than a mix of aluminium and copper in a heatsink? Thanks for any help.

Looks like you found a good deal so get the all copper and clocker2 get a new sig, Hal is already taken.

How much better or worse is that hsf (the all copper version only for the zalman) be compared to that thermalright slk900? Would the slk or cnps7000 win in terms of just keeping the proc at a lower temp? Thanks.

Man you’re talking about only 1 or 2 degrees between the top Zalman, Thermalright, and Swiftech heatsinks. If I had to guess, the Thermalright probably noses out the Zalman. I went with the Swiftech since the dust build up is easier to remove compared to the Thermalright and it stays more secure when moved. The Zalman wasn’t out when I was shopping, but looks to be secure when installed.

I have the Zalman7000cu and frankly, can't recommend it.
It has several features which I don't care for.

A) it is very heavy and, even secured through the motherboard, makes me nervous when moving my case about to work on it.

B) it's diameter makes it tough to fit coolers on the chipset.

C) the provided fan is meant to be silent, not efficient as an air mover, so even running full tilt it doesn't cool all that well. The way the fan is mounted makes it awkward to try another, higher cfm unit, in it's place.

After I had run mine for a while and discovered my mediocre results, I refit my stock AMD HS modded with a 80mm fan, and achieved the same temps as the Zalman.

It does look cool as hell, though.

I agree with Clocker2. I also have the cnps7000-cu and I really can't recommend it. It is a great cooler for stock setups, but once overclocking comes into play, it really is no match for a SLK 800/900 series HS. I had to mod mine with a SFII to get better temps, and it still is nowhere near the performance of an SLK series. Thats my opinion.

You also have way more fan and modding options with the Thermalright and Swiftechs. They did an unscientific test on the Swiftech website where they dropped a computer out a window a few stories up. The case was trashed but the heatsink hadn't budged an inch. That latest Thermalright with the pipes looks damn cool as well.

Back