• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what would cause this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I have a problem that I am stumped on. Its a secondary computer here are the specs

52x cdrom drive
MSI AMD board
AMD Duron 1.2 ghz
128 meg of ram
voodoo 3 video card
Windows 98SE

The problem is that windows all of the sudden decided to stop detecting the cd drive. It was working fine, so i changed out the cdrom drive for a new one, it worked for about a week. Now it is doing it again. If you go under my computer, there is no longer a d: drive for the cdrom, just a: and c:, i have tried reseating the cables and rebooting. Any suggestions?

check for any and all viruses. if it doesnt work after that, check to see if the POST detects it. if not, then its a hardware problem and i'd try a diff cable, reseat jumpers. of the post does see it, uninstall/reinstall all the drivers for the cdrom and the secondary IDE (it IS on secondary, right?)

i had a virus do that once, though. it was weird.

OMG i have the same problem....i swapped drives....swapped cables...checked cables....reinstalled windows....and even cleared my CMOS!!! I don;t use the computer (fold fold fold) but I am curious y it does this too

yes, post does see it, but windows doesn't. Drivers are installed. The cdrom is on its own ide cable. There are three on the motherboard, floppy, primary, secondary. I have the cdrom on secondary. So its on its own cable.

have you tried sticking the drive in another computer? It have just spontaneously gone kaput.

I had that happen on an older pc I was messing with, the drive wouldn't show in windows, but would in the post, so I disconnected the IDE cable, booted into windows, shut it down again, then reconnected the cable, booted again, and poof there was the drive, has been fine ever since. Weird but it worked.

if i boot my computer without a cd in the drive, windows wont show the cd-rom and to get it to show, i have to run the windows add hardware thing and when it searches for new hardware it will show it then:/

Back