• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grandpa Dan question please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipster

Hello Grandpa Dan, I hope that your holidays are going smoothly! I'm wondering, (though I believe this to be true) I am better off setting up 2 80gig on a Raid 0 configuration than 1-160 gig ide drive? Thanks for your advice!

I just backup different files from time to time on a local computer downstairs. I'll just be doing video capture/encoding, then burn to a dvd, then erase from harddrive/s? Or would it be easier and not really matter (performance wise) to just use the old ide way?

hipster said:
I just backup different files from time to time on a local computer downstairs. I'll just be doing video capture/encoding, then burn to a dvd, then erase from harddrive/s? Or would it be easier and not really matter (performance wise) to just use the old ide way?
I bought a 160g today at a good price but could just as easily and cheap to get 2-80gig drives (All seagate udma133)

Grandpa Dan said:
IDE would be easier. Raid would be much faster. The other option is sata if your mobo supports it. Serial ata is faster than parallel by a fair amount.
I just got the Asus P4P800-D yesterday and haven't priced out the SATA but they are much more expensive than the regular ide aren't they? I needed to get something to set this thing up next week & saw the 160 Seagate for $89. and the 80G for $49. I grabbed the 160 but maybe I should have 2 80's instead and utilize the Raid config. I'll have to call them on the SATA drives.

Thanks Grandpa Dan, I called Best Buy and they carry the Seagate SATA 120g but are out of stock now. BB said the 120 SATA is 160.00 now but they may have rebates in the future as well as a 2nd version of SATA later this year I guess? I just didn't know if I should keep the 160g parallel now or return for 2-80g parallel and setup for Raid-O since the sale ends tonight? ( Although this whole "deal" may be mute tomorrow when Comp-usa ads come out because they may have a better deal on their drives tomorrow. Thanks, Bill

hipster said:
Thanks Grandpa Dan, I called Best Buy and they carry the Seagate SATA 120g but are out of stock now. BB said the 120 SATA is 160.00 now but they may have rebates in the future as well as a 2nd version of SATA later this year I guess? I just didn't know if I should keep the 160g parallel now or return for 2-80g parallel and setup for Raid-O since the sale ends tonight? ( Although this whole "deal" may be mute tomorrow when Comp-usa ads come out because they may have a better deal on their drives tomorrow. Thanks, Bill

go to newegg.com 120g sata 7200.7 is 105 160g is 127 no shipping

Back