• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are omega drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mazdarx7

Registered
I am really curious as to what these omega drivers are, as several threads here refer to them repeatedly.

I have never personally tried them but what I've heard they're just the same as regular Catalysts, BUT with overclocking options as an extra.

Not really. The overclocking utility is an add on. The person who makes the Omega drivers is part of ATi's beta driver team. He takes the Catalyst drivers and reworks them. He includes fixes, performance optimizations, etc. Sometimes people lose 100-200 3DMark2001 points with them, but they also improve image quality and "smoothness" of a lot of games. I use them exclusively, they're very well done drivers.

I have been using them since there inception and love them. They are so stable and I noticed an inmproved picture quality.

The improvments in image quality is just the tweaking of the default Performance/Quality settings, other then that there are no image quality things.

But he does sometimes replace one file with an older version, if the newer version shows stability problems, etc.

He doesnt actually rework the drivers, as that illegal and why nVidia tried to sue him (they thought he was reworking the drivers, but after he proved to them he wasnt, they tried to have the last laugh and made him take their logo off his site....lol)

But yes, he is on ATi's beta team, and a lot of what he does is now done in the official drivers anyways, and so the main benefit of the Omega drivers is the software suite that comes along with them.

EDIT: someone in a previous thread stated that the new Omega drivers from version 3.10 does not come with Radlinker(Radclocker) and you have to download it seperately.

Anyone know if installed Radlinker will overwrite any settings from Omega?

Last edited:
ogboot said:
i have omega 3.10 and i have overclocking options in my menu

That would be the Rage3D Tweak you have installed that you mentioned in your thread ;)

And yes, RadClocker was removed

OMEGADRIVE here!
This are my "optimized" drivers for the ATI Radeon family of video cards.

What's New? (2.5.04 / 2.5.29)
* Based on the Official Catalyst 3.10 drivers. (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Fixed the setup issues once and for all by re-writing the ATI setup INIs from
scratch. This was tested on a LOT of cards and they worked perfectly, if you
still have problems please E-Mail me.(2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Updated the profiler utility to the latest version with OC support
included. (2k/XP)
* Removed RadClocker from the package (petition by the author). (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Added the STRETCH screen option for Digital Flat Panel monitors and
laptops. (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Added support for HDTV resolutions. (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Changed some of the default Omega settings. (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Fixed the Dual Monitor/ATI Control Panel problems. (2k/XP/9x/ME)
* Added 1400x1050@60Hz for FPD monitors and laptops. (2k/XP/9x/ME)

Back