• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need quick advice on Buffalo memory..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odie812

Hey everyone,

happy holidays and all...

I have an AMD XP3000 400FSB processor in an A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0... That said...

On newegg, I'm seeing two kinds of Buffalo memory

This:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-150-564&depa=1

and this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-150-607&depa=1

Obviously the only difference is really the Samsung bit. Do I want that? Or do I want the non-Samsung memory?

I hope to run in dual channel and overclock. I prefer this memory because it is good while being rather cheap. Thanks for the help!

Odie

You want the Buffalo DD4002-512/WC.... winbond CH-5 dont get the samsung!!

My buffalo PC3200 512mb sticks do 220 MHz in my NF7-S v 2.0

I payed $73 a stick form www.tblmemory.com

Last edited:
Oops, I misread your post.

But, the non-Samsung memory on Newegg isn't okay? Seemed to be reviewed well.

I believe the Winbond CH-5 is more compatable with the Nforce 2 400 Ultra chipset!

The samsung is better with Intel chipsets !!

Ah ha. Winbond CH-5 it is then...

While I'm at it, one more question.

When I put my new processor in last weekend, I had no problems with overclocking it as far as the temps go (<35*C with my Thermalright slk800a). But when I put in two 512mb sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200C2, my system lost all stability when in dual channel mode. Immediate errors in Prime95 and tons of errors in MemTest. I rotated the DIMM's and still no luck. However, when I had just one of the sticks in at one time, there was no problem. So I figure it has to be something to do with that memory and dual channel, or maybe one of the sticks IS bad afterall and I just overlooked it.

Anyone have experience with this?

Yes, identical sticks.

I bought the first stick in June when I built my system, and the second in early November, both from Newegg. I read around here that there was a bad batch of this memory out there and timings played a large role. But, I still couldn't overclock at all (even with both sticks in single channel mode) without poor stability and timings are still 8-3-3-2.5t. :(

Something tells me I got a dud...

Yup could be a bad stick ... Double check the version numbers though and go HERE and ask the ram-guy for some help.. he will sort it out for you !!

Odie812 said:
Yes, identical sticks.

I bought the first stick in June when I built my system, and the second in early November, both from Newegg. I read around here that there was a bad batch of this memory out there and timings played a large role. But, I still couldn't overclock at all (even with both sticks in single channel mode) without poor stability and timings are still 8-3-3-2.5t. :(

Something tells me I got a dud...

I have had 3 sticks of the Corsair 3200 C2 and all three were bad,this will be my third RMA for this ram.

I'm not really surprised, Dave.

I really like Corsair, but I guess saying that the PC3200C2 is "enthusiast" RAM isn't saying much. It's just so burdensome to pay as much as $300-400 for high quality, low-latency RAM when products like Buffalo Technology exist at equivalent performance.

Oh well, live and learn. Goodbye, Corsair.

Odie

Off-topic, but 9800 Pro?

The 9800 has lived a dynasty unmatched by any video card chipset since the geforce2 and the geforce4, but it's going to be out of date as early as this spring when, hopefully, the 9900 will become available. I'll be waiting for those. Heck, if I'm paying $300+ for a card, then I'm going to do it like no other!

Haha, but I hope it treats you well, Bugeyes :)

Odie812 said:
Off-topic, but 9800 Pro?

The 9800 has lived a dynasty unmatched by any video card chipset since the geforce2 and the geforce4, but it's going to be out of date as early as this spring when, hopefully, the 9900 will become available. I'll be waiting for those. Heck, if I'm paying $300+ for a card, then I'm going to do it like no other!

Haha, but I hope it treats you well, Bugeyes :)

Over here in australia 9800 XT's go for $850 AUD and GeCube 9800 Pro etreme (400 core and 700Mem) are $525 AUD so when the R420's arive they should be around $900 AUD ! and I'm still not sure if they will be PCI Express or AGP 8x ...

and anyways $900 is way out of my price range!

I really don't want to upgrade my mobo / cpu untill Amd release there "san-deigo" cored Athlon 64's

I have a Ti 4200 64mb at the moment and it's just not cutting it when I play Lock-on modern air combat...

Last edited:
Me too,bye bye Corsair @ least til they get there SH T together.

I am about ready to drop some bucks on some Twinmos so far it hasen't let me down,but I noticed prices are a bit higher for Twinmos.

Back