• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2500,2600 or 2800 to replace xp2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

Im gonna buy a 2nd rig and I thought rather than buying a Duron I could spend some extra money to upgrade the main rig.

The max I think this upgrade is worth is the price of the XP2800. Do you guys think there will be a noticable difference against the XP2700? Wich of these chips do u think overclock best without making any modifications?

EDIT: I might add that if u think this upgrade is a waste then Im pretty intrested how far I can take a Duron 1600 anyway :)

Last edited:
Wait, you have 2100+ B running at 2166MHz, not 2700+ running at default, right?

First thing, lower that multiplier quite a bit to increase the [FSB], just to see how high you can take it, FSB is more important than raw MHz.

List your cooling, it's more important than hard drive and CDRW info, if it's decent, you should be able to take that FSB way up and lower the multiplier to approach 2.3 GHz.

After finding out the limits of your RAM, if it's way into the 200s FSB, your best bet is to get any 2500+, locked or not.

Either way, you may not see that much of an improvement over what your 2100+ B can do with decent cooling. You'll have the extra cache but if, say 100 MHz is considered an upgrade, it's your call. You may get more, but you may get just the 100 MHz, so I'd look at it that way...

Ok I updated the sig, it was incorrect anyway :)

I did try alot of different settings when I first got this XP2100. However I cant make run 100% stable at anything higher than 166 Mhz, no matter what Vcore I tried. It runs like a dream at 2.17 Ghz and default Vcore.

I know the memory can do 200 Mhz and propably more. I used to run them in 200 Mhz with pretty fast timings, until I realized that running them in 166 Mhz gave slighly better performance.

I dont have very high demands on the O/C, it much more important that its stable. If I could hit 200 mhz fsb stable I would be very happy :)

Most likely your 1.04 it's your a7n8x that wont do 200 fsb . I bet it stops right around 175-185 huh ?? !! Try lowering the mult some running it over 166 ..

It has support , but I am pretty sure that MANY people needed to volt mod that revision to get to 200 mhz fsb .. Look around www.nForcersHQ.com in the Asus section and/or start your own thread there .. They will help you get it to 200 !!

Modding? Hmm lol no I dont think so :). I modded a couple of XP1700's once to get them to work in dual but thats far beyond my limit really.

I could propably sell the cpu/mobo/fanhs/2x256 combo. They are still pretty hot.

Back