• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PCMCIA NIC is insane

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I'm trying to get a PCMCIA NIC working. It's Gigafast card from Newegg and it uses the 8139too driver in Knoppix. The autdetection doesn't quite finish the job, but I can bring the card up with ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25; ifconfig eth0 up (192.168.0.25 is arbitrary but free).
After that, I try to ping my router at 192.168.0.1. I get blinking lights on the NIC and every port that's connected to something on the router, but nobody replies to my pings. The same thing happens for any 192.168.0.* except the laptop's own address. The same command (ping 192.168.0.1) works fine from an iMac connected through the same cable.

Check out mii-tool and ethtool. My 8139too doesn't like my hub and falls back to a 10mbit link, so I "mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0" on it.

Back