• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD Problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy71600

Ok, so my friend gave me his LCD because he said it was broken. The problem is that the lcd screen flashes the picture when you turn it on, and then the screen goes dark. Does anyone know what's wrong?

funny thing just happened.... i turned the thing off then on again and it works.... weirdest thing.

ok, i go turn it on this morning and it doesnt work again. You can still see the picture, but there is no light coming from the screen. I have already tried upping the brightness but the screen still looks black. If you tilt the screen you cand barely make out what is being displayed.

well... im sorry to report the the beating of the LCD did no good (no i didnt punch through the scree). I smacked it on the sides and on the back a few times, but no improvements :(. Im almost positive that the backlights went out.

He he.....that bang on it suggestion triggered a military memory! The handbook for our field artillery radio handsets stated that if the handset failed, "place in hand, bang once on hard surface and try again". The sad thing is that this worked 80% of the time!

Happy New Year's everyone.

lol apenland!

You can replace the backlight yourself. I think the lights cost about 20bux and they come in a sheet. Not too hard, really. You just pull the LCD out, remove the old sheet and put the new in. I did it on an old 386 lappy a while back. I'm assuming the process hasn't changed. Just becareful about dust. It looks like sh*t if you get dust trapped in between the backlight and LCD.

Im pretty sure they are fluorescent bulbs now... but where did you get the stuff to fix your lcd? They probly have the new stuff now.

Yeah I have to agree that yours is likely bulbs not a sheet. As for where to get it repaired, have you even tried contacting the manufacturer? You never know but you may be surprised at how cheap it might be to fix right through them. They also might be pretty expensive too, but don't know till you ask em!

Back