• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Psu??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SharkDiver

Hey all,
Didnt know were to put this topic so I hope this is cool.
Anyways Im wondering if my psu is going bad because of some readings Im getting from hardware doc. program.Here are my readings:
+3.3V 28A = 2.92-3.02
+5V 40A = 4.92
+12V 18A = 11.86
As you can tell they are all under volting but is it a problem?The +3.3 is the one Im really worried about.
My PSU is a Aluminum TurboLink 420Watt that is about 1.5 years old.Im going to get a antec 550 true watt or what ever that is if this is going bad.
Shark

No I havent check it with a mullti..Well lets pretend that the readings are right that the MoBo is giving out.Are these voltages to low or something I should worried about?
Shark

you need to check with a multiumeter you do this but putting the red on the lead in which u would like to test and the black on the grond cable. this is on a molex connector so red on red and black on black. red on yellow and black on black. you can buy a multimeter at radioshack.but by a good one not a cheap one

Thanks, I have one.Ill check it out tomorrow and post back my Vs.Oh,Is the molex the only thing I need to test?How do I check the 3.3V?Isnt molex 12V and 5V?
Shark

I tested the 12V and 5V and I test the 3.3V off the PSU fan because I dont know were else to test it besides another fan.Anyways I started 3dMark03 if that makes a diffrence and check my volts.Here they are.
9700 Pro video in plug at = 4.80v, 11.82v
HD1 = 4.89v , 11.86v
HD2 = 4.91v 11.88
Cpu fan 3.3v conection = 2.8v

From what Ive been reading these volts are ok but I would like to know how I can test it the right way to make sure t is ruled out of any problems if that is possible.
Shark

SharkDiver said:
I tested the 12V and 5V and I test the 3.3V off the PSU fan because I dont know were else to test it besides another fan.Anyways I started 3dMark03 if that makes a diffrence and check my volts.Here they are.
9700 Pro video in plug at = 4.80v, 11.82v
HD1 = 4.89v , 11.86v
HD2 = 4.91v 11.88
Cpu fan 3.3v conection = 2.8v

From what Ive been reading these volts are ok but I would like to know how I can test it the right way to make sure t is ruled out of any problems if that is possible.
Shark

it should be 5 and 12 and 3.3 and a -3.3. your mobo should TURN OFF if there is not proper voltage. but u should get a new psu the rails are week they arent that expensive. DONT BUT THERMALTAKE POWER SUPPLIES

you should be ok. intel has guideline on how low or hige the voltages can be i will try to find the list ok

also check yuo out let power it should be a steady ac 120.00 volt
Thanks.Ill check it.I think I may just go with a antec 420 or the 550 just to be safe.Im going to check the outlets tho first.
Shark

no that is not a problem sry it took me a long time to gte back 119 is great.. there is always chance for human and mechanic error so its good

Back